VP of Engineering (US - Remote)
US - Remote /
Full-time - Remote
Tumult Labs builds state-of-the-art privacy technology to enable the effective use of data while ensuring the privacy of sensitive data elements. We are revolutionizing how government and corporate enterprises safely and securely analyze sensitive data. We are a fast-growing, well-funded startup based on cutting-edge technology with roots in award-winning academic research. We are building a creative, dynamic, and diverse team that is committed to upholding privacy in systems powered by AI and data science. We are passionate about the success of our customers and we strive to maintain a stimulating, collaborative work environment based on continuous learning, creative problem solving, appreciation of diverse views, and respect for the quality of life of our team members.
We are seeking an experienced engineering leader to help us build our cutting-edge differential privacy analytics platform. Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer / co-founder, this role will have critical responsibilities in heading an engineering team to build and deliver high-quality new products and features with industry-leading user experiences. The VP of Engineering will also be responsible for growing and managing an enthusiastic, productive engineering team as well as continuing to refine and develop our engineering processes. The right person for this role will focus the engineering team on features that deliver value to customers based on an understanding of customer needs. This will require the ability to evaluate difficult trade-offs, to communicate effectively with both leadership and engineers, and to react quickly to unanticipated obstacles.
- Serve as a key member of the executive team, which includes the founders and the VP of Product, to realize our shared vision for a scalable product aligned with achieving our goal of enabling data sharing with mathematical privacy guarantees. The contributions of the VP of Engineering include effective communication of current capabilities, accurate forecasts of development timelines, and creative problem-solving to deliver value early and incrementally using an agile approach.
- Work cooperatively with the VP of Product to define and refine the product roadmap and technical infrastructure supporting it.
- Head a team of engineers to build products around our core differential privacy libraries.
- Lead the design of the product architecture. Work together with the CTO to ensure alignment with the capabilities and structure of the privacy libraries.
- In collaboration with the Chief Scientist, head our customer solutions teams to deliver solutions that are well-crafted and scientifically sound.
- Manage all engineering personnel, ensuring that our team members remain productive, engaged, and motivated. Assist in maintaining a stimulating, collaborative work environment.
- Oversee and advise on the technical activities of the engineering team.
- Manage engineering processes including agile processes, DevOps, quality assurance, and release management. Find creative ways to minimize friction and foster alignment within and across teams.
- Build, recruit, and train a world-class engineering team.
Skills Needed for Success:
- 5+ years of engineering leadership experience preferably in enterprise software products.
- Track record of successfully building and releasing commercial products on time, to specification, and within budget.
- Demonstrated success with directing a team using an agile approach.
- Demonstrated success with managing engineering processes.
- Organized, results-motivated, inclusive of others, and a dependable communicator.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit.
Preferred Skills and Educational Level:
- Experience in privacy, cybersecurity or data science.
- Experience at a startup/high growth company.
- MS/PhD in computer science or a related technical field.
- Experience with on-premises deployments.
- Success recruiting, supporting, and managing a talented engineering team.
- Experience building products that are data-intensive, scalable, cloud-native.
- Experience building products that provide interfaces for data analytics / BI, expose developer-facing interfaces such as RESTful APIs and/or client libraries (esp. Python).
- Experience with Python, Apache Spark, AWS, Gitlab CI, Docker.
Tumult Labs is headquartered in Durham, NC. However, this position is for a fully remote employee who is located within the continental US.
If you are hired into a Colorado work location, the anticipated compensation range for this position ($150,000 to $200,000) is based on a full-time schedule. Your ultimate compensation may vary depending on your job-related skills and experience. For part time roles, the compensation will be adjusted appropriately.
Benefits & Perks:
Our team is remote with a majority of us in the Eastern Time zone. Full-time Tumult Labs employees enjoy excellent benefits, including the following:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- Flexibility of work schedule.
- 401(k) Plan
- Generous paid vacation and holiday policies.
- Competitive compensation, including equity.
Tumult Labs is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Notice to Third-Party Staffing and Recruiting Agencies:
Tumult Labs does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, employment agencies, or staffing firms. To conduct business with Tumult Labs, a Master Services Agreement (MSA) must be executed and confirmed prior to submitting any information relating to a potential candidate. Without a signed MSA, Tumult Labs shall not be responsible to any individual or entity for any payment relating to any form of fee or compensation.
And, in the event that a resume or candidate is submitted by a recruiter, an employment agency, or a staffing firm without a fully executed MSA, Tumult Labs has the unrestricted right to pursue and hire any of those candidate(s) without any legal or financial responsibility to the recruiter, agency, and/or firm.