Senior Electrical Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Who We Are
Tonal has built the world’s most intelligent fitness system that is changing the way people work out at home. Tonal is a fresh approach to fitness that leverages hardware, software, video content, and artificial intelligence. Everyone who has seen or used our product, from professional athletes to fitness enthusiasts, has fallen in love.
At Tonal, we are applying our collective knowledge and creativity to reimagine fitness. We know firsthand that too many hurdles stand between each of us and our fitness goals. Drawing on decades of research and a diverse team of experts, we have created the most advanced strength training system available that makes working out more efficient, effective, and engaging.
We're passionate about building products that transform people's lives.
Tonal is looking for a Senior Electrical Engineer to develop new and innovative fitness products. Our team offers a unique opportunity to define a new category and build experiences with a variety of advanced technologies.
The Tonal hardware team is developing complex electrical and mechanical systems containing everything from high speed digital processors to low power microcontrollers, from power electronics and motor control to wifi and bluetooth, and from simple analog sensors to full audio and camera systems.
What you will do
- You will play a technical lead role for the EE team in taking products from concept, prototyping, test and iteration through to high volume production
- The ideal candidate will have the system level thinking, organizational and design skills to bring together the EE's for the various sub-systems and make the tradeoffs that lead to final designs
- You will also be responsible for a portion of the system design
- You will bring it all together and ensure a great product on schedule with other engineering disciplines and cross functional teams
Who you are
- Proven technical leadership taking full products to mass production
- Strong background in EE fundamentals and system level design
- Experience working with external design partners and contract manufacturers
- 7+ years of relevant experience in hardware systems development and integration. Areas include hardware architecture, board design, board - bring-up, product NPI experience, and continuous improvement of a product at volume.
- Understanding of product development process, DFM (design for manufacturing) and DFT (design for test)
- Broad, cross-functional understanding of hardware system integration
- Ability to understand the design goals and execute together with larger cross functional teams such as FW, ME/PD, ID, supply chain, and manufacturing operations
- Must be well organized and enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience designing boards with ARM processors and microcontrollers
- Knowledge of EMI, signal integrity and power systems
- Knowledge of standard interfaces (USB, SPI, I2C, LVDS, PCIe, etc)
- Experience in PCB design, schematic capture and layout (we use Altium)
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.