Electrical Engineering Manager
San Francisco, CA /
Technology – Hardware /
Who We Are
Tonal is the smartest home gym and personal trainer. It has completely revolutionized the way people work out at home, with its sleek design and advanced A.I. technology. We’ve united a diverse team of experts and decades of research to reinvent strength training, making it more efficient, more effective and more engaging.
With this in mind, we want to bring that same innovative approach to the workplace. At Tonal, we continue our shift of emphasis by growing our instrumental team. We collectively weave our knowledge and creativity, as we redefine the future of fitness. We are passionate about building products that transform lives, and building teams that transform the status quo. Together, we can be our strongest.
Tonal is looking for an Electrical Engineering Manager to develop new and innovative fitness products. Our team offers a unique opportunity to define a new category and build excellent product experiences with a variety of advanced technologies. Acting as both a Manager and Technical Lead for the Electrical Engineering team, this position will lead the team in taking products from concept, prototyping, test and iteration, through to high volume production. As an Electrical Engineering Manager, you will combine system level thinking with organizational and design skills to develop a highly functioning and engaged team.
The Tonal Hardware department is developing complex electrical and mechanical systems containing everything from high speed digital processors to low power microcontrollers, from power electronics and motor control, to wifi and bluetooth, and from simple analog sensors to full audio and camera systems.
What You Will Do
- Lead the execution and continuous improvement for EE programs and systems
- Foster a collaborative environment and build ownership and empowerment within your team
- Lead, mentor, and help build out the EE team at Tonal
- Take products from concept and prototypes through testing and iteration to high volume production
- Collaborate with cross functional engineering teams to understand design goals and develop requirements for system integration
- Work across departments with Program Management, Product Management, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and Customer Care to bring it all together and ensure a great product
Who You Are
- 12+ years of experience developing electronics systems
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Electrical Engineering
- Proven technical leadership taking full products to mass production and beyond
- Broad experience across EE domains: high speed, low power, sensors, wireless, audio
- Strong background in EE best practices, system level design and validation
- Proven ability to lead and mentor teams, creating accountability and empowerment in a fast-paced environment
- Experience balancing in-house designs and leveraging external design partners
- Experience working with contract manufacturers and technology suppliers to optimize design life, cost, and performance
- Experience in PCB design, schematic capture, and layout (we use Altium)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative problem solver who is not afraid to push the boundaries and think differently
- Open to feedback and constantly striving to improve
At Tonal, we believe that the unique and varied lived experiences of our teammates contribute to our overall strength. We don’t just appreciate differences, we celebrate them, and we always seek people that represent a wide variety of backgrounds. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and designing employee experiences that contribute to your growth as much as you do to ours. If your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), send us your application. We would love to hear from you!
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, email@example.com. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.