Senior Firmware Algorithms Engineer, Embedded
Toronto, ON /
Technology – Hardware /
Who We Are
Tonal is the smartest home gym and personal trainer. It has completely revolutionized the way people work out at home, with its sleek design and advanced A.I. technology. We’ve united a diverse team of experts and decades of research to reinvent strength training, making it more efficient, more effective and more engaging.
With this in mind, we want to bring that same innovative approach to the workplace. At Tonal, we continue our shift of emphasis by growing our instrumental team. We collectively weave our knowledge and creativity, as we redefine the future of fitness. We are passionate about building products that transform lives, and building teams that transform the status quo. Together, we can be our strongest.
As part of the Hardware department at Tonal, the Firmware team helps build our intelligent fitness system from the ground up. The Firmware team develops and tests across several embedded domains from wireless sensors to high powered motor control. This affords a challenging and rewarding experience in terms of driving reliability higher across various generations of custom parts. The Tonal firmware team is looking for a passionate and motivated Senior Firmware Engineer with a strong algorithms or data science background to help us evolve the intelligence of existing and future hardware.
What You Will Do
- Push the envelope for Tonal’s motor control systems to ever greater performance
- Investigate and develop advanced control algorithms
- Turn white papers and ideas from our data science and product teams into production level features
- Develop new advanced weight control modes alongside our world class coaches to create new workout possibilities to Tonal
- Contribute to design and development across all areas of our embedded software systems
- Work with our Mechanical and Electrical engineering teams to design, manufacture and integrate new sensors
- Work with product management, mechanical, and electrical teams to understand user requirements
- Work with software, backend, and design teams to drive feature implementation
- Work with our manufacturing team to ensure product data is available and quality is met
- Help the team establish best practices for development, test, and deployment
- Maintain a high bar for product quality, safety, and user experience
Who You Are
- 5+ years firmware development experience
- Very strong at C development, experience in C++, Java, Python is also valuable
- Strong mathematics background
- Strong in controls systems such as PID, smith predictor or other double-controller schemes
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Developing production quality, application level algorithms
- ML / AI development frameworks
- Benchmarking and optimizing algorithms
- Experience with high power BLDC/PMSM motor control is a plus
- Knowledge of serial communications protocols such as USB, SPI, I2C, UART
- Knowledge of embedded development best practices and tools
- Creative problem solving, and aren’t afraid to push the boundaries
- High attention to detail
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Team player with high integrity and high degree of self awareness
- Open to feedback and constantly striving to improve
At Tonal, we believe that the unique and varied lived experiences of our teammates contribute to our overall strength. We don’t just appreciate differences, we celebrate them, and we always seek people that represent a wide variety of backgrounds. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and designing employee experiences that contribute to your growth as much as you do to ours. If your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), send us your application. We would love to hear from you!
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.