Senior Electrical Engineer (NPI)
Toronto, ON /
Technology – Hardware /
Who We Are
Tonal is the smartest home gym and personal trainer. It has completely revolutionized the way people work out at home, with its sleek design and advanced A.I. technology. We’ve united a diverse team of experts and decades of research to reinvent strength training, making it more efficient, more effective and more engaging.
With this in mind, we want to bring that same innovative approach to the workplace. At Tonal, we continue our shift of emphasis by growing our instrumental team. We collectively weave our knowledge and creativity, as we redefine the future of fitness. We are passionate about building products that transform lives, and building teams that transform the status quo. Together, we can be our strongest.
You will collaborate with an experienced cross-functional team to prototype new experiences and products and make valuable improvements to our current products. This Senior Electrical Engineer will also develop new technologies and platforms, design and test electronic systems, and transition the designs to high volume manufacturing partners in Asia.
The ideal candidate is passionate about engineering as a discipline, as demonstrated by a series of professional experiences that show your exceptional curiosity as to how and why engineering systems work and how, you personally, have used this knowledge to drive improved performance outcomes. This role reports to the Electrical Engineering Manager and will be based out of San Francisco.
What You Will Do
- Research and prototype new technologies and platforms, especially in the areas of BLDC motor control power electronics, inverters, platforms and sensors that enhance the product experience
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to develop innovative new products
- As a senior contributor you will have the opportunity to be the project team cross functional lead for new product developments
- Perform the full design process including Altium schematic design and PCB layout
- Develop and execute test plans for your designs
- Work directly with Contract Manufacturers in Asia and our Supplier to ensure high quality deliverables
- Plan, manage, execute and communicate product development activities both internally and to our CMs and Suppliers
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- 7+ years of experience developing consumer electronics
- Experience with Power Electronics (over 1kW)
- Experience with BLDC motor control and Motor design
- Experience with AC/DC power conversion and multi-quadrant designs
- Experience with wireless technologies, such as WiFi or Bluetooth
- Experience with embedded digital systems and analog sensors
- Highly proficient at Schematic Design and PCB layout
- Experience working with contract manufacturing partners
- Great oral and written communication skills- Team player with high integrity
- Open to feedback with an ongoing desire to improve
- High degree of self-awareness
At Tonal, we believe that the unique and varied lived experiences of our teammates contribute to our overall strength. We don’t just appreciate differences, we celebrate them, and we always seek people that represent a wide variety of backgrounds. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and designing employee experiences that contribute to your growth as much as you do to ours. If your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), send us your application. We would love to hear from you!
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, email@example.com. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.