Firmware Automation & QA Manager, Embedded
San Francisco, CA /
Technology – Hardware /
Who We Are
Tonal is the smartest home gym and personal trainer. It has completely revolutionized the way people work out at home, with its sleek design and advanced A.I. technology. We’ve united a diverse team of experts and decades of research to reinvent strength training, making it more efficient, more effective and more engaging.
With this in mind, we want to bring that same innovative approach to the workplace. At Tonal, we continue our shift of emphasis by growing our instrumental team. We collectively weave our knowledge and creativity, as we redefine the future of fitness. We are passionate about building products that transform lives, and building teams that transform the status quo. Together, we can be our strongest.
As part of the Hardware department at Tonal, the Firmware team helps build our intelligent fitness system from the ground up. The Firmware team develops and tests across several embedded domains from wireless sensors to high powered motor control. This affords a challenging and rewarding experience in terms of driving reliability higher across various generations of custom parts. The Tonal firmware team is looking for a passionate and motivated Automation and Q/A Engineer Manager to help us grow the team that will take our testing infrastructure and product quality to the next level.
What You Will Do
- Design and develop testing infrastructure of our embedded software systems
- Lead the integration of CI/CD test platforms
- Integrate sensors, tools, and control systems into a CI/CD framework
- Work with other Embedded Engineers and our Manufacturing and Reliability teams to identify ways to improve our test coverage in meaningful ways
- Identify tools and systems needed to reliably & meaningfully stress all permutations of hardware
- Own and Improve the FW build and release process
- Advocate for the needs of the Automation and Q/A team
- Work with internal recruiters to build out the FW Automation and FW Q/A teams
- Help the Embedded team establish best practices for development, test, and deployment through the CI/CD process
- Maintain a high bar for product quality, safety, and user experience
- Work with direct reports to foster a collaborative environment and build ownership and empowerment
- Work with software, backend, and design teams to drive higher quality releases on a predictable schedule
Who You Are
- 7+ years firmware testing and/or development experience
- High attention to detail and meticulous engineering processes
- Knowledge of best practices for embedded systems testing
- Curious and a creative problem solver who is not afraid to push the boundaries, ask questions, and break things
- Very strong in Python and proficient at C development
- Experience mentoring and hiring other engineers
- Experience with evaluating, selecting, and bringing up build systems and CI/CD pipelines
- Well-versed in helping others push past their own boundaries
- Familiar with test running software such as pytest or cpputest
- Experience testing more than one of: Sensors, motors, and actuators; Safety systems and communication protocols; or Bluetooth Classic, BLE, and Wi-Fi
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Team player with high integrity and high degree of self awareness
- Open to feedback and constantly striving to improve
At Tonal, we believe that the unique and varied lived experiences of our teammates contribute to our overall strength. We don’t just appreciate differences, we celebrate them, and we always seek people that represent a wide variety of backgrounds. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and designing employee experiences that contribute to your growth as much as you do to ours. If your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), send us your application. We would love to hear from you!
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.