Staff Backend Engineer (Golang)
Toronto, ON /
Technology – Software /
Who We Are
Tonal is the smartest home gym and personal trainer. It has completely revolutionized the way people work out at home, with its sleek design and advanced A.I. technology. We’ve united a diverse team of experts and decades of research to reinvent strength training, making it more efficient, more effective and more engaging.
With this in mind, we want to bring that same innovative approach to the workplace. At Tonal, we continue our shift of emphasis by growing our instrumental team. We collectively weave our knowledge and creativity, as we redefine the future of fitness. We are passionate about building products that transform lives, and building teams that transform the status quo. Together, we can be our strongest.
What You Will Do
- Design and develop services in our platform that drive everything from media distribution to analytics on the largest and most advanced fitness data set in the world
- Engage in requirements gathering, technical specifications, and the design and development of complex systems
- Work and Interact with cross-functional teams including software Engineering, Firmware, Hardware, Manufacturing, and Content to define APIs and workflows
- Partner with and mentor more junior members of the team
- Participate in the active development of an evolving consumer-oriented product
Who You Are
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science
- Expertise in architecting and developing software solutions
- Proficient in Golang or you are an experienced engineer with in-depth knowledge of other programming languages such as Rust, C++, Java, or Python
- Extensive experience with RDBMS, ideally Postgres & NoSQL datastores
- Track record of designing and implementing models for efficiently storing and retrieving data
- Experience designing, developing and documenting RESTful APIs
- Experience building highly scalable distributed systems with micro services; ideally deployed in Docker containers on Kubernetes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interest in working in a fast-paced environment in the fitness industry
- Experience with media processing, transcoding, and streaming
- Experience with AWS and Cloud-native solutions
- Experience with Android development
- Experience with Flutter development
At Tonal, we believe that the unique and varied lived experiences of our teammates contribute to our overall strength. We don’t just appreciate differences, we celebrate them, and we always seek people that represent a wide variety of backgrounds. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and designing employee experiences that contribute to your growth as much as you do to ours. If your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), send us your application. We would love to hear from you!
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.