Director, Sports Marketing
New York, NY /
Who We Are
Tonal has built the world’s most intelligent fitness system that is changing the way people work out at home. Tonal is a fresh approach to fitness that leverages hardware, software, video content, and artificial intelligence. Everyone who has seen or used our product, from professional athletes to fitness enthusiasts, has fallen in love.
At Tonal, we are applying our collective knowledge and creativity to reimagine fitness. We know firsthand that too many hurdles stand between each of us and our fitness goals. Drawing on decades of research and a diverse team of experts, we have created the most advanced strength training system available that makes working out more efficient, effective, and engaging.
We're passionate about building products that transform people's lives.
As the Director of Sports Marketing, you will be responsible for activating Tonal’s extensive roster of professional athletes that are both Tonal members and investors, as well as identifying new athlete opportunities to pursue. You will also be responsible for developing and executing a broader strategy as it relates to the proactive recruitment and activation of new athletes, coaches, leagues and sports teams to support Tonal’s broader business objectives while raising brand awareness and credibility.
You will partner closely with Tonal’s Brand, Creative, Social, PR and Influencer team members to identify and collaborate on athlete-driven marketing partnerships and campaigns with the goal of elevating and differentiating Tonal as an innovator in the connected fitness space. You will also work alongside our Acquisition and Growth teams in order to maximize athlete specific assets to further expand reach and support top and mid-funnel initiatives. Lastly, you will work with the content team to help curate athlete talent for Sport Performance programming on the Tonal platform.
This role will ideally be based in New York City (with an openness to San Francisco for the right candidate) and will report to the VP of Marketing based in San Francisco, CA.
What You Will Do
- Develop a Sports Marketing strategy with alignment from key Marketing and Executive stakeholders
- Identify athletes, teams, leagues, and organizations for broader partnership opportunities for proactive outreach
- Vet and evaluate all inbound athlete and sports related opportunities
- Build and manage ambassador program centered around activation of existing Tonal athletes with notable influence (fame, accomplishment, press value, social footprint)
- Help research new athlete talent that aligns with Tonal’s brand positioning and target audience
- Build and maintain positive relationships with athletes, trainers, agents and athlete management
- Support athlete-driven Marketing and Content campaigns through the recruitment and management of athlete relationships
- Act as the point person on athlete contract negotiations, working closely with the VP, CMO, and Legal team
- Work closely with the Director of PR & Influencer marketing to amplify athlete relationships through press and social media
- Report on key ROI metrics to indicate success of athlete engagements and campaigns
Who You Are
- 10+ year of experience in Sports Marketing and Partnerships — previous in-house brand experience is a plus
- Passionate and knowledgeable about the sports industry, including top players, teams, and leagues
- Culturally Informed — have your finger on the pulse when it comes to sports fans and culture, and can quickly identify new trends and areas of opportunity
- Excellent communication skills — value relationship-building both externally with partners and internally with key stakeholders
- Strong organizational and project management skills — take autonomy and ownership of your work and adhere to timelines
- Entrepreneurial mindset — self-starter who is able to work well both independently and as part of a team
- Can-do attitude — driven, detail-oriented professional who thrives in a fast paced environment
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.