Staff Firmware Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Technology – Hardware /
Who We Are
Tonal is the smartest home gym and personal trainer. It has completely revolutionized the way people work out at home, with its sleek design and advanced A.I. technology. We’ve united a diverse team of experts and decades of research to reinvent strength training, making it more efficient, more effective and more engaging.
With this in mind, we want to bring that same innovative approach to the workplace. At Tonal, we continue our shift of emphasis by growing our instrumental team. We collectively weave our knowledge and creativity, as we redefine the future of fitness. We are passionate about building products that transform lives, and building teams that transform the status quo. Together, we can be our strongest.
As part of the Hardware department at Tonal, the Firmware team helps build our intelligent fitness system from the ground up. We enjoy the opportunity to create a great product and to expand our technical breadth in the process. We leverage embedded processors running anything from bare metal to Android using a variety of sensors, motors and communication paths to create a device that delivers an exceptional and seamless user experience. We are looking for a self-motivated Firmware Engineer to take technical ownership across all domains FW supports.
What You Will Do
- Design and develop our embedded software systems across Drive train, Accessories and Android
- Lead the execution of FW programs and systems
- Work with product management, mechanical, and electrical teams to understand user behavior and derive requirements
- Integrate new sensors, improve control systems, implement and debug features
- Work with software, backend and design teams to drive feature implementation
- Work with manufacturing to ensure product data is available and quality is met
- Help the team establish best practices for development, test, and deployment
- Maintain a high bar for product quality, safety and user experience
Who You Are
- 10+ years firmware development experience
- Expert C development - experience in C++, Java, Python is also valuable
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: High power BLDC/PMSM motor control
- Sensors and actuators
- Developing safety critical systems
- Communication protocol development
- Bluetooth and/or BLEFirm knowledge of embedded development best practices and tools
- Capable of technical leadership and mentoring other engineers
- Creative problem solver who is not afraid to push the boundaries and think differently High attention to detail
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Team player with high integrity and a high degree of self-awareness
- Open to feedback and constantly striving to improve
The range of base salary for the position is between $185,000 - $205,000 USD plus equity and benefits. We take into consideration an individual’s background, experience, and location in determining their salary. This role is also eligible for health insurance, retirement savings benefits, life insurance and disability benefits, flexible paid time off, parental leave, and other additional benefits.
At Tonal, we believe that the unique and varied lived experiences of our teammates contribute to our overall strength. We don’t just appreciate differences, we celebrate them, and we always seek people that represent a wide variety of backgrounds. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and designing employee experiences that contribute to your growth as much as you do to ours. If your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), send us your application. We would love to hear from you!
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, email@example.com. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.