VP, Corporate Controller
Toronto, ON /
Who We Are
Tonal has built the world’s most intelligent fitness system that is changing the way people work out at home. Tonal is a fresh approach to fitness that leverages hardware, software, video content, and artificial intelligence. Everyone who has seen or used our product, from professional athletes to fitness enthusiasts, has fallen in love.
At Tonal, we are applying our collective knowledge and creativity to reimagine fitness. We know firsthand that too many hurdles stand between each of us and our fitness goals. Drawing on decades of research and a diverse team of experts, we have created the most advanced strength training system available that makes working out more efficient, effective, and engaging.
We're passionate about building products that transform people's lives.
The Controller will own corporate accounting and financial reporting, operational accounting, financial processes and systems, and collaborate with other departments on internal controls, business process reengineering and enterprise wide systems. This role is ideal for a flexible, detailed, and high-energy finance professional who likes to work in a scaling company. You will have broad responsibility, the opportunity to improve processes and build a growing business while working cross-functionally with groups like manufacturing and supply chain, MIS, sales operations, and engineering. The role will be based in Toronto, Canada and report directly to our San Francisco based Chief Financial Officer.
What You Will Do
- Manage the outsourced accounting team (India-based Accounting Manager, Senior Accountant, Junior Accountants) on daily operations and month-end close and reporting and adherence to policies and procedures. Determine our BPO vs in house accounting strategy and implement.
- Work with various departments and MIS on ERP, CRM, Ecomm systems and integration
- Program manage the financial audit process
- Build out the technical accounting capability of the finance team
- Build a collaborative, high performing team through guidance and leadership
- Work with supply chain, order management, logistics and warehouse operations on business processes that impact system transactions and operational efficiency through holistic approach with attention to detail
- Be the technical expert on the financial modules of our ERP system
- Work w FP&A on implementing toolsets such as budgeting and forecast modules and activity based costing and management
- Prepare the company for eventual IPO readiness
Who You are
- Undergraduate degree in business, economics, accounting or related field is highly desired
- 12 to 18 years of cumulative work experience, including:
- Prior experience with a Big 4 firm, holding the US CPA or UK/Canada Chartered Accountant designation.
- Controller experience in industries such as Manufacturing, Retail, Technology or Distribution with a medium to large company (> $250M revenue)
- Exposure to best-in-class processes and tools such as Sarbanes Oxley 404 (or COSO framework) and audits conducted under the PCAOB standards
- Must have experience in technical accounting areas such as consolidations, revenue recognition, foreign currency, stock options, and regulatory filings and reporting; preference for experience with U.S. SEC reporting
- Concrete Operational Accounting experience: cost and inventory; transaction groups; corporate operations activity; general ledger function and the month-end close process.
- In-depth ERP system experience required (anything from Great Plains to SAP), including but not limited to: implementation and upgrade of the software, business process engineering, project management.
- Experience with process and change management: drive improvement in daily accounting operations, systems and procedures
- Prior experience with a hardware or physical goods business including inventory and supply chain, order fulfillment and logistics and their associated workflows and system configuration
- Leadership, influencing and communication skills are a key factor, you will have an ability to work cross-functionally, and with senior management and executive staff and will also work with outside parties (auditors, tax, board members, bankers)
- Master’s degree or equivalent in accounting
- In depth knowledge of core applications such as ERP, CRM, Ecommerce, and iPaaS integration software; great if had prior experience program managing implementations.
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, email@example.com. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.