San Francisco, CA /
Programming & Research /
Who We Are
Tonal has built the world’s most intelligent fitness system that is changing the way people work out at home. Tonal is a fresh approach to fitness that leverages hardware, software, video content, and artificial intelligence. Everyone who has seen or used our product, from professional athletes to fitness enthusiasts, has fallen in love.
At Tonal, we are applying our collective knowledge and creativity to reimagine fitness. We know firsthand that too many hurdles stand between each of us and our fitness goals. Drawing on decades of research and a diverse team of experts, we have created the most advanced strength training system available that makes working out more efficient, effective, and engaging.
We're passionate about building products that transform people's lives.
Tonal is looking for an experienced fitness leader to help guide curriculum and programming across our platform. The Director of Curriculum will help to set guardrails and templates for the content delivered to members through our in-home experience and mobile app, and will provide key input and momentum for the adoption of new and engaging ways of training. This role includes oversight of a team of performance specialists and interfaces regularly with our content production, product, engineering, marketing, and data science teams to help sculpt the most intelligent strength system ever developed. This role will report to our SVP of Programming & Research and can be based out of either San Francisco or Los Angeles, CA.
What You Will Do
- Oversee a team of performance specialists and modality - specific training consultants tasked with creating programming documents for our content
- Work with product and engineering to refine the systems we use to power the world’s most intelligent workouts
- Meet with our coaches to understand their strengths and help them develop programs that fit within our guidelines
- Work with our product and marketing teams to understand how our programming is resonating with existing members, and to sculpt new programming to fit prospective members
- Be a liaison to the performance industry at large
- Partner with our Strength Institute to develop and test revolutionary new ways of training leveraging our world-class technology
Who You Are
- 8-10 years of experience as a strength and conditioning specialist with practical application in the fields of sports performance, curriculum development, exercise physiology, and beyond
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Exercise Science, Kinesiology, Physical Education, Sports Medicine, Health Science, Sport Science, or related field
- A deep understanding of the responsibility and opportunity to develop a curriculum for a broad population -- adaptable for everyone from general population to elite to adaptive athletes.
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist certification (CSCS) through NSCA or Strength and Conditioning Coach Certified (SCCC) by the CSCCa
- Experienced communicator and consensus builder ideally with time spent representing a brand in public forums
- Expert in the deep science of exercise physiology capable of practical and philosophical explorations of everything from bioenergetics to motivation theory
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.