Lead Hardware Systems Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Who We Are
Tonal has built the world’s most intelligent fitness system that is changing the way people work out at home. Tonal is a fresh approach to fitness that leverages hardware, software, video content, and artificial intelligence. Everyone who has seen or used our product, from professional athletes to fitness enthusiasts, has fallen in love.
At Tonal, we are applying our collective knowledge and creativity to reimagine fitness. We know firsthand that too many hurdles stand between each of us and our fitness goals. Drawing on decades of research and a diverse team of experts, we have created the most advanced strength training system available that makes working out more efficient, effective, and engaging.
We're passionate about building products that transform people's lives.
As our Lead Systems Engineer you will collaborate with an experienced cross-functional team to develop new experiences and products and make valuable improvements to our current products. You will develop new technologies and platforms, define architectures and modules of our intelligent electromechanical systems, and transition the products to high volume manufacturing partners. This role will be based out of our San Francisco, CA headquarters.
What You Will Do
- Lead multi-disciplinary engineering teams to deliver complex and innovative products
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams such as Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Program Management, Product Management, Marketing, and Software
- Define the system-level and module-level engineering requirements
- Drive deliveries and collaboration between the engineering team leads from each of the following disciplines: Mechanical, Electrical, Firmware, Reliability and Certification
- Ensure best practices are followed throughout product concept, development, and testing
- Ensure product development milestones are met with clear entry and exit criteria
- Resolve product development challenges, be competent enough in each engineering discipline to ensure the team to arrives at a good solution
- Work directly with Contract Manufacturers and our suppliers in Asia to ensure a high-quality product
- Plan, manage, execute and communicate product development activities both internally and to our CMs and other suppliers
- Research and prototype new technologies and platforms that enhance the product experience
- Manage tradeoffs among program schedule, scope, program cost, and COGs
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- 10+ years of experience developing electro-mechanical systems
- Industry experience in robotics, automotive, aerospace, automation, consumer appliances or related areas
- Passionate about engineering as a discipline, as demonstrated by a series of professional experiences that show your exceptional curiosity about why engineering systems work, and how, you personally, have used this knowledge to drive better outcomes
- Proven capability for both System Level thinking and ensuring detail aren't missed in the outcomes
- History of success at breaking down complex problems and executing as a team to solve them
- Experience with high-reliability, safety-critical systems from concept to mass production
- Experience with some technologies such as mechanical articulations, motor control, drive train, power systems, wired and wireless communications, and sensors
- Experience working with Contract Manufacturing partners
- Ability to travel overseas up to a few times per year as needed
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent team and self-organization skills
- Team player with high integrity
- Open to feedback with an ongoing desire to improve
- High degree of self awareness
- Experience managing or desire to eventually manage a team is a plus
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, email@example.com. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.