Senior Mechanical Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Technology – Hardware /
Who We Are
Tonal is the smartest home gym and personal trainer. It has completely revolutionized the way people work out at home, with its sleek design and advanced A.I. technology. We’ve united a diverse team of experts and decades of research to reinvent strength training, making it more efficient, more effective and more engaging.
With this in mind, we want to bring that same innovative approach to the workplace. At Tonal, we continue our shift of emphasis by growing our instrumental team. We collectively weave our knowledge and creativity, as we redefine the future of fitness. We are passionate about building products that transform lives, and building teams that transform the status quo. Together, we can be our strongest.
Tonal is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer who is passionate about health technology and consumer electronics to develop new and innovative products – from concept, prototyping, test, and iteration through to high-volume production. You will work in the heart of San Francisco on the hardware team developing new products, sub-systems, and components that combine complex mechanical and electronic systems.
Our team defined a new category of products and offers a unique opportunity to build experiences with a wide variety of technologies and manufacturing processes. Tonal has built a collaborative culture of high performers. We strive to be the best version of ourselves, and we know that can't happen unless we're all having fun working on meaningful products.
What You Will Do
- Design, prototype, and test electromechanical systems and components
- Develop and run validation experiments
- Mentor and collaborate closely with other MEs and cross-functional teams
- Create high-quality engineering drawings and technical documentation
- Work cross-functionally to understand context, goals, and constraints
- Work with leadership to complete tasks in time to support project deadlines
- Initiate and participate in design reviews and brainstorming sessions
- Support supply chain bring-up and qualification
- Own specific components or subsystems Domestic and international travel required
- Expand and improve the team’s capabilities, processes, and expertise
Who You Are
- BS, Mechanical Engineering
- 5-15 years of relevant product design experience
- Interested in working with an international team
- Expertise in part/assembly design and 3D modeling (SolidWorks)
- Extensive knowledge of materials and manufacturing technologies
- Collaborative style and ability to navigate a dynamic organization
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and present findings back to a larger group
- Desire to improve designs over the entire product lifecycle
- Skilled with shop tools and rapid prototypingHands-on problem solver
- Mechanism design preferred
- Machine shop experience
- FEA experience
The range of base salary for the position is between $156,000 - $169,000 USD plus equity and benefits. We take into consideration an individual’s background, experience, and location in determining their salary. This role is also eligible for health insurance, retirement savings benefits, life insurance and disability benefits, flexible paid time off, parental leave, and other additional benefits.
At Tonal, we believe that the unique and varied lived experiences of our teammates contribute to our overall strength. We don’t just appreciate differences, we celebrate them, and we always seek people that represent a wide variety of backgrounds. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and designing employee experiences that contribute to your growth as much as you do to ours. If your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), send us your application. We would love to hear from you!
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration, and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, email@example.com. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.