Director, Systems Engineering
San Francisco, CA /
Technology – Hardware /
Who We Are
Tonal is the smartest home gym and personal trainer. It has completely revolutionized the way people work out at home, with its sleek design and advanced A.I. technology. We’ve united a diverse team of experts and decades of research to reinvent strength training, making it more efficient, more effective and more engaging.
With this in mind, we want to bring that same innovative approach to the workplace. At Tonal, we continue our shift of emphasis by growing our instrumental team. We collectively weave our knowledge and creativity, as we redefine the future of fitness. We are passionate about building products that transform lives, and building teams that transform the status quo. Together, we can be our strongest.
As Director of Systems Engineering, you will collaborate with an experienced cross-functional team to develop new experiences and innovative products while making valuable improvements to our current products. The Systems Engineer team works cross-functionally to develop new technologies and platforms, define architectures and modules of our intelligent electromechanical systems, and transition the products to high volume manufacturing partners.
This role reports to the VP of Hardware and will be based out of our San Francisco, CA headquarters.
What You Will Do
- Lead and develop a team of Systems Engineers
- Foster a productive, collaborative environment and build ownership and empowerment within the team
- Drive process to solidify System Engineering as a critical and necessary practice at Tonal
- Work closely with Product Management to define the product requirements and then define the system-level and module-level engineering and testing requirements and ensuring traceability
- Maintain close partnerships with Program management to balancing trade offs across multiple programs and support your team to do the same among schedule, scope, program cost, and COGs
- Continuously improve collaboration with cross-functional teams such as Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Program Management, Product Management, Marketing, and Software
- Drive deliveries and collaboration meetings between the engineering team leads from each of the following disciplines: Mechanical, Electrical, Firmware, Reliability and Certification
- Ensure best practices are followed throughout product concept, development, and testing phases
- Ensure product development milestones are met with clear entry and exit criteria
- Resolve product development challenges, be competent enough in each engineering discipline to ensure the team to arrives at a good solution
- Plan, manage, execute and communicate product development activities both internally and to our CMs and other suppliers
- Contribute to defining the product and technology roadmap
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering or similar discipline
- 15+ years of experience developing electro-mechanical systems
- Industry experience in robotics, automotive, aerospace, automation, consumer appliances or related areas
- Passionate about engineering as a discipline, as demonstrated by a series of professional experiences that show your exceptional curiosity about why engineering systems work, and how, you personally, have used this knowledge to drive better outcomes
- Proven capability for both System Level thinking and ensuring detail aren't missed in the outcomes
- History of success at breaking down complex problems and executing as a team to solve them
- Experience with high-reliability, safety-critical systems from concept to mass production
- Experience with some technologies such as mechanical articulations, motor control, drive train, power systems, wired and wireless communications, and sensors
- Experience working with Contract Manufacturing partners
- Ability to travel overseas up to a few times per year as needed
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Proven history of creating and leading well functioning teams
- Open to feedback with an ongoing desire to improve
- High degree of self awareness
At Tonal, we believe that the unique and varied lived experiences of our teammates contribute to our overall strength. We don’t just appreciate differences, we celebrate them, and we always seek people that represent a wide variety of backgrounds. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and designing employee experiences that contribute to your growth as much as you do to ours. If your experience aligns with what we’re looking for (even if you don’t check every single box), send us your application. We would love to hear from you!
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, email@example.com. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.