Senior Firmware Controls Engineer, Embedded
San Francisco, CA /
Who We Are
Tonal has built the world’s most intelligent fitness system that is changing the way people work out at home. Tonal is a fresh approach to fitness that leverages hardware, software, video content, and artificial intelligence. Everyone who has seen or used our product, from professional athletes to fitness enthusiasts, has fallen in love.
At Tonal, we are applying our collective knowledge and creativity to reimagine fitness. We know firsthand that too many hurdles stand between each of us and our fitness goals. Drawing on decades of research and a diverse team of experts, we have created the most advanced strength training system available that makes working out more efficient, effective, and engaging.
We're passionate about building products that transform people's lives.
As part of the Hardware department at Tonal, the Firmware team helps build our intelligent fitness system from the ground up. We enjoy the opportunity to develop a great product and to expand our technical breadth in the process. The Firmware team works across several embedded domains from wireless sensors to high powered motor control. We leverage embedded processors running anything from bare metal to Android using a variety of sensors, motors and communication paths to create a device that can deliver an exceptional user experience. Our system has many unique requirements around how to use motors to deliver such an experience and we are looking for a passionate and motivated Firmware Engineer generalist with a strong background in controls systems to drive the quality of our motor control systems higher and higher while being able to contribute to other domains as well.
What You Will Do
- Push the envelope for Tonal’s motor control systems to ever greater performance
- Investigate and develop advanced control algorithms
- Turn white papers and ideas from our data science and product teams into production level features
- Develop new advanced weight control modes alongside our world class coaches to create new workout possibilities to Tonal
- Contribute to design and development across all areas of our embedded software systems
- Work with our Mechanical and Electrical engineering teams to design, manufacture and integrate new sensors
- Work with product management, mechanical and electrical teams to understand user requirements
- Work with software, backend and design teams to drive feature implementation
- Work with our manufacturing team to ensure product data is available and quality is met
- Help the team establish best practices for development, test, and deployment
- Maintain a high bar for product quality, safety and user experience
Who You Are
- 5+ years firmware development experience
- Very strong at C development, experience in C++, Java, Python is also valuable
- Strong mathematics background- Strong in controls systems such as PID, smith predictor or other double-controller schemes
- Experience with FOC motor control (using Clarke & Park transforms) on embedded systems
- Experience with multiple of the following - High power BLDC/PMSM motor control, sensors & actuators, Bluetooth and/or BLE, or developing firmware for battery-powered targets
- Knowledge of serial communications protocols such as USB, SPI, I2C, UART
- Knowledge of embedded development best practices and tools
- Creative problem solving, and aren’t afraid to push the boundaries
- High attention to detail- Great oral and written communication skills
- Team player with high integrity and high degree of self awareness
- Open to feedback and constantly striving to improve
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.