Senior Firmware Automation Engineer, Embedded
San Francisco, CA /
Who We Are
Tonal has built the world’s most intelligent fitness system that is changing the way people work out at home. Tonal is a fresh approach to fitness that leverages hardware, software, video content, and artificial intelligence. Everyone who has seen or used our product, from professional athletes to fitness enthusiasts, has fallen in love.
At Tonal, we are applying our collective knowledge and creativity to reimagine fitness. We know firsthand that too many hurdles stand between each of us and our fitness goals. Drawing on decades of research and a diverse team of experts, we have created the most advanced strength training system available that makes working out more efficient, effective, and engaging.
We're passionate about building products that transform people's lives.
As part of the Hardware department at Tonal, the Firmware team helps build our intelligent fitness system from the ground up. We enjoy the opportunity to develop a great product and to expand our technical breadth in the process. The Firmware team works across several embedded domains from wireless sensors to high powered motor control. We leverage embedded processors running anything from bare metal to Android using a variety of sensors, motors and communication paths to create a device that can deliver an exceptional user experience. The Tonal firmware team is looking for a passionate and motivated Automation Engineer to help us take our testing infrastructure to the next level and to manage the relationship with our system level test team.
What You Will Do
- Design and develop testing infrastructure of our embedded software systems
- Integrate CI/CD test platforms and modify production FW to allow for better CI/CD integration
- Integrate any necessary sensors and control systems into our CI/CD framework
- Work with other Embedded Engineers and our manufacturing and reliability teams to identify ways to improve our test coverage in meaningful ways
- Work with software, backend and design teams to drive higher quality releases on a predictable schedule
- Help the embedded team establish best practices for development, test, and deployment through the CI/CD process
- Maintain a high bar for product quality, safety and user experience
- Identify tools and systems needed to reliably & meaningfully stress all permutations of hardware
Who You Are
- 5+ years firmware development experience
- Very Strong in Python and Proficient at C development
- Experience with C++ and/or Java is also valuable
- Experience with evaluating, selecting and bringing up build systems such Jenkins and Bitbucket CI/CD tools
- Familiar with test running software such as pytest or cpputest
- Experience with more than one of the following - Sensors, motors, and actuators, safety systems and communication protocols, Bluetooth Classic/BLE, and Wi-Fi
- Knowledge of embedded development best practices and tools
- Curious and a creative problem solver who is not afraid to push the boundaries, ask questions, and break things
- High attention to detail and meticulous engineering processes
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Team player with high integrity and high degree of self awareness
- Open to feedback and constantly striving to improve
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.