Senior Mechanical Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Who We Are
Tonal has built the world’s most intelligent fitness system that is changing the way people work out at home. Tonal is a fresh approach to fitness that leverages hardware, software, video content, and artificial intelligence. Everyone who has seen or used our product, from professional athletes to fitness enthusiasts, has fallen in love.
At Tonal, we are applying our collective knowledge and creativity to reimagine fitness. We know firsthand that too many hurdles stand between each of us and our fitness goals. Drawing on decades of research and a diverse team of experts, we have created the most advanced strength training system available that makes working out more efficient, effective, and engaging.
We're passionate about building products that transform people's lives.
Tonal is looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to develop new and innovative products. From concept, prototyping, test and iteration through to high volume production. You will join the hardware team developing new products that combine complex mechanical and electronic systems. You will design and develop new mechanical and electromechanical components. Our team offers a unique opportunity to define a new category and build experiences with a variety of technologies and manufacturing processes.
What You Will Do
- Design mechanical parts and systems
- Develop and deliver new products
- Work across groups to understand context, goals, and constraints
- Plan and lead projects
- Generate concepts and solutions
- Development through prototype, test and iteration
- Execute electro-mechanical detail product/system/module design
- Supply chain bring up and qualification support
- Key NPI support
- Own sub-systems and key partnerships
- Domestic and international travel may (eventually) be required
- Expand and improve the team’s capabilities, processes and expertise
Who You Are
- Mechanical engineer with 7+ years of relevant experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Relevant experience in automotive, aerospace, exercise equipment, industrial equipment, major appliances, or robotics a plus
- Mechanism design experience
- Hands-on problem solver with machine shop and prototyping expertise
- Strong understanding of material properties
- Demonstrated FEA expertise
- Expertise in part/assembly design, 3D modeling (we use Solidworks)
- Experience with a variety of materials and manufacturing technologies
- Full Product lifecycle and design experience
- Experience working with Contract Manufacturers, ideally in Asia
- Collaborative style and able to navigate through a growing organization
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and meet tight deadlines
Tonal is committed to meeting the diverse needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner that is consistent with the principles of independence, dignity, integration and equality of opportunity. Should you have any accommodation requests, please reach out to us via our confidential email, firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be addressed and responded to in accordance with Tonal’s Accessibility Policy and local legislation.