Data Science Lead
Product & Engineering
Are you an accomplished data scientist, looking to make a difference in a startup? This person will change the way we approach data here at Tonsser. The tracking data and infrastructure are up and running - and we have difficult data problems waiting to be solved. We need someone ready to bring structure and robustness to the way we understand our users and the football industry.
This job is for someone who loves complex problems, and wants to solve them through data. Right now, the way football talents are noticed is opaque. You either get noticed by knowing someone, or by luck. We want to decrease the dependency on luck, contacts, or cash and make this industry focus on something more universal: talent.
Our app is for youth footballers, and it helps them to showcase their potential through performance, match performance, and key skills. We don't focus on professional footballers: that's not the point here. The idea is to recognise talent: no matter what league they're playing in, or who they are.
We know that "data science" is a buzz word, and if you've just done a 3 month course on it, this position's not for you. This position is more for someone who thinks in DataFrames, breathes analytics, and eats startups for breakfast.
We're a company that's biased towards autonomy, responsibility, and big impact. And the data that you'll get to use? Some of the sexiest that there is out there, Scout's honour.
You'll get to:
- Make Tonsser data-driven: We are getting there with KPIs, dashboards and analytics tools, but we really need to take it to the next level. You'd help develop a strong culture of scientific experimentation so we can learn fast and make decisions based on data rather than opinions.
- Influence product direction: You'd work closely with the product team and deliver the user behavioural data needed to figure out how we can make all football players love Tonsser.
- Build intelligent product features: Tonsser is all about the player data and we're planning to leverage it for some really exciting things, including match predictions and insights, talent identification and AI coaching. These features will rely heavily on machine learning.
- Own your work: Through this role you will get both ownership in the company and in your decisions. You'd have as much freedom as you need to get the job done in the best way possible.
- Solve problems: Your role will change the way we use data at Tonsser. You should enjoy rising to the challenge, and be happy to challenge the status quo if you think we can do things in a better, and smarter way.
Your background probably includes:
- Programming skills in languages like SQL, Python and relevant packages (like numpy and pandas)
- Coding for production as well as analysis
- Statistics and analysis experience like: formulating hypotheses, A/B testing and experiment design, user behaviour analysis
- Machine learning: you're into deep neural networks and following advances in the field
- B2C work with things like: activation funnels, retention and virality metrics, building growth models, attribution modelling, and experience of (and a critical eye for) data analysis tools
- Communication in: problem definition, data evangelism, and data visualisation
- Experience with cloud data tooling, and infrastructure (like Spark)
- A degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Engineering or something similar
Your colleagues say you are:
- A natural leader: you're joining as the first data scientist that Tonsser's ever hired. Part of your responsibility will be to hire and mentor the team.
- Ambitious: you'll be able to make a huge dent on the way we do business here at Tonsser. You can impact things like budget, strategy, as well as providing motivations for funding rounds.
Your mother says you are:
- A high performer, but always humble
- Passionate about doing things with impact
- Curious by nature
You'd like to develop:
- Your leadership skills
- Decision-making, and dependency of the company on your part of the business
- People through conferences, talks, hiring and management
We write cool things! Read our the latest thoughts from co-founder and CPO here to understand how we think.
Discovering footballers is becoming as easy as discovering musicians on Spotify. Tonsser explains how here: