Full Stack Developer, Team Lead
Engineering – Product Development
Full stack team leads at Top Hat are the most senior hands-on role in our engineering team. Your day to day role is diverse. One day you’ll be deep-diving with your team on a memory optimization issue and the next you’ll be with your product manager in a classroom filled with Top Hat users validating the features you built.
You own your work end-to-end, from talking with our users to understand innovative ways we can help them to monitoring production operations to understand how we can make existing features better. You will be working amongst a group of 10+ team leads that regularly meets to learn from one another.
As a key member of our Engineering Team you will:
- Drive the success of your team’s objectives and key results
- Own a product domain that is used by millions
- Lead a full-stack development team that is engaged, learning, and making great technical decisions
- Work closely with product management, data, design, and user research on end-to-end projects to ensure we are building the right things
- Have the autonomy to make technical decisions, propose the best solutions to the problems presented and space to think and iterate
- You have engineering leadership experience. This includes technical leadership demonstrated through leading major projects throughout the full software design lifecycle; and people leadership having previously mentored, coached and run high-performing teams with autonomy and accountability.
- You have the technical skills that include web development technologies and tools, automated unit and integration testing, designing and building scalable, fault-tolerant services.
- You have the right combination of education and experience. A solid understanding of software development either through a degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a Technology-related field, and/or 5+ years of experience building software systems.
Some of the reasons we attract great people:
- Top Hat has an environment of coaching and growth.
- You get to work with 10+ team leads who are senior engineering leaders like yourself.
- Work alongside product management, design, user research, data engineering, data science, platform engineering, devops to develop complementary skills.
- Get direct 1:1 mentorship and coaching from senior management.
- Top Hat is dynamic and growing; we are making major technical investments across our platform. We are moving from a monolith to services and have a great Platform team supporting this.
- You will have a meaningful impact; and the problems you solve have a real and tangible impact on education. You get the opportunity to visit classrooms to see how your work is having an impact.
- You’ll be using the latest technologies, building on a new SOA platform with great tech across the stack (React/Redux, Python/Django & much more).
About Top Hat:
Top Hat’s interactive, cloud-based teaching platform enables professors to engage students inside and outside the classroom with compelling content, tools and activities. Millions of students at 700 leading North American colleges and universities use the Top Hat teaching platform. Headquartered in Toronto, Top Hat has been operating since 2009.
We have a vibrant culture of brilliant people who are innovators, thinkers, and creative geniuses. We believe in defying the status quo and we want smart people like you to join us.
The life of a Top Hatter also comes with other sweet perks too:
• Outstanding company culture, with a team that is super smart and motivated to be a part of a company that is changing the face of education.
• Conveniently located at Bloor and Avenue, near 3 TTC stations.
• We are one of the top education technology companies in North America (named Fastest 50 Growing Companies by Deloitte Consulting!)
• Our dress code is casual.
Top Hat welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.