Senior Engineering Manager
Remote US / Canada /
Engineering & Product – Engineering /
We're looking for a seasoned engineering manager to lead Buyer Engineering, which includes cross-functional teams focused on Buyer Acquisition and Buyer Engagement. You will have an opportunity to work on all aspects of our product, including hands-on development work on our web and mobile clients, backend, and infrastructure, as well as to manage multiple small, but growing teams of engineers. You'll also work cross-functionally with our buyer acquisition and lifecycle marketing teams, product, growth, and buyer customer support teams.
For more details about our culture, teams, and growth, please review our interview process.
- Collaborate with your teams to develop project milestones and timelines, and help the teams operate effectively at achieving timely delivery without compromising best practices or quality
- Manage multiple teams of engineers and provide them with actionable feedback to help them continue to develop and grow
- Identify and eliminate blockers and inefficiencies quickly
- Effectively communicate status of key projects and initiatives to the broader business
- Share context around the business and help the team to understand the rationale for current priorities and how they align to key business objectives
- Lead postmortem and retrospective meetings to identify opportunities to improve processes moving forward
- Drive best practices and quality for your team and the broader engineering organization
- Partner with the product and growth teams, as well as the broader business to ensure the team is working on the most impactful initiatives
- Recruit, hire, develop, and retain top talent for your team
- Pair with your team members on solving more complex engineering challenges; drive smart architecture/design decisions that balance for pace of innovation and long-term maintainability
- Focus on fast, iterative & agile development
- Contribute to platform-level technology, strategy & decisions
- Engage in the business goals as well as the technology
- Mentor engineers, tech leads, and prospective managers on the team
- BS/MS, or equivalent work experience, in Computer Science, Math, or related technical field (experience writing good software is a suitable replacement for a technical degree)
- 5+ years of full-time work experience as a senior individual contributor, preferably in a startup environment
- 5+ years of recent, full-time work experience as an engineering manager, preferably in a startup environment, managing multiple teams
- A full stack generalist with experience in both front-end and back-end technologies (we use primarily Ruby on Rails, React, and React Native) - ability to wear many hats
- An emphasis on shipping products on web/mobile, rather than lower-level, systems or embedded systems
- Knowledge & skills in a broad range of internet technologies
- Deep proficiency interacting, building, and improving the performance of RESTful APIs
- Deep proficiency in a popular framework such as Rails, Django, or Node (we use Ruby on Rails)
- Deep proficiency in a dynamic programming language such as Python or Ruby (we use primarily Ruby)
- Expertise with Linux and Git
- Resourceful, flexible & adaptable; no task is too big or too small
- Experience in an agile environment where iteration has led to perfection
- Past co-workers attest to your prowess & agility in building great products
Don't have Tophatter? Download it now: https://tophatter.com/sign_up
Like what you see? Subscribe to our channel and follow us!
Tophatter is re-imagining discovery commerce in a world increasingly connected by smartphones. We are the world's fastest, most entertaining marketplace for mobile shoppers.
We connect buyers and sellers around the world in real-time auctions that are both fast and effective. Leveraging our ever-expanding data for merchandising and personalization, nearly every item sells, and sells within an average of 90 seconds.
Tophatter is funded by leading Silicon Valley venture capital firms, including August Capital, Charles River Ventures, Sequoia Capital, and SV Angel. We have a distributed workforce and offices in Bangalore, Portland (OR), San Francisco, Shanghai, and Shenzhen.
We are actively expanding our team. In exchange for your precious time and energy, we offer incredible freedom and responsibility. If you're looking for a challenge, look no further. Let's grow together.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Tophatter are considered the property of Tophatter and are not subject to payment of agency fees.