Toptal is one of the most innovative and rapidly expanding tech start-ups from Silicon Valley. With backing from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz and Adam D’Angelo, our platform is the fastest growing labor marketplace in the history of the Internet—connecting thousands of elite engineers and designers all over the world. In the last five years, Toptal has become the #1 choice for tech companies requiring top-tier engineering and design talent and for the top 3% of freelancers looking for their next challenge.
While we’re primarily focused on bringing quality and value to our clients, we’re also committed to creating a world-class environment for our employees. We are a completely distributed company with thousands of core and network team members located all over the world, and we take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We take an all-hands-on-deck approach to our work, taking pride in being collaborative, creative, and flexible.
If you aren’t looking for a job because you’re already killing it, we want you.
At Toptal, we measure everything and always rely on data to guide all of our initiatives, including both our long-term strategy and our day-to-day operations. As a Data Scientist on our Analytics Team, you will be working with our team to model complex problems, discover actionable business insights, and identify high-impact opportunities. You will be part of a high-energy, fast-paced team responsible for supporting initiatives and operations across the company.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. However, we do things like rent out hotels in Africa or mansions in Thailand, and you will certainly be invited to come work with us.
- Use statistical, algorithmic, data mining, and visualization techniques to model complex problems, discover actionable business insights, and identify opportunities.
- Architect specialized database and computing environments.
- Handle both parts of the Research & Development process, including clean, rigorous implementations of devised models inside our Analytics system.
- Take smart risks and champion new ideas.
- Be in constant communication with team members and other relevant parties and convey results efficiently and clearly.
- A strong background in mathematics, in particular in probability theory and statistics, data mining, and machine learning.
- A proven record of quickly and accurately understanding complex new concepts.
- Strong programming skills, especially with Ruby and Scala. Familiarity with the Spark ecosystem is a plus.
- Extensive experience with a programming language of your own choice (R, Python, Matlab, etc.) and a strong record of efficiently conducting research and creating ad hoc reports.
- An excellent ability to learn new programming languages quickly and effectively.
- Strong experience managing or shipping out a product, managing a team, or working on open source projects are all big pluses.
- Be excited about collaborating daily with your team and other groups while working via a distributed model.
- Be eager to help your teammates, share your knowledge with them, and learn from them.
- Be open to receiving constructive feedback.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.