Director, Product Design
San Francisco, CA or Remote (US) /
Product – Design /
Create the first software platform that merges cutting edge technology, human coaching, social learning, and mentorship aimed at creating the highest caliber leaders at all levels of the company, ultimately driving innovation, scale, and the bottom line.
We succeed by being extremely focused on delivering compelling, scalable, intentional end-to-end solutions for the problems of our customers and their employees. Our platform will enable Employee, Team, and Organization - Engagement » Insight » Action » Growth.
How do we do this? Insert the Product Design Lifecycle… Empathize, Define, Ideate, Prototype, Test, Build, Measure (repeat). We must understand our users and customers in a deep and unbiased way. What challenges do they face, what are their needs, what drives them, what excites them, what makes them do what they do, why, why, why, why, why...only then can we effectively come up with truly impactful solutions.
As the Director of Product Design you will lead, nurture, and develop the small but growing product design team of two ‘always curious’, talented, and driven designers while continuing to take on the day-to-day responsibilities of an individual contributor… This is very much a ‘player coach’, ‘show by doing’ role for the foreseeable future. You are energized by the opportunity to champion the evolution of our product design organization in close partnership with the Head of Product in order to guide and grow a high-functioning human-centered practice and product.
Reporting to the Head of Product, this position is a crucial addition to our growing Product team and a key player in Torch’s success. Torch is a hybrid remote and distributed team with offices in San Francisco, Buffalo and New York. At the moment, everyone is working remotely with the option to return to those offices when it is safe.
- Manage and develop a small but growing design team while continuing to take on the day-to-day execution role of a product designer
- Solve complex user, business, product, and design problems across multiple channels
- Partner and collaborate closely with product managers, engineers, and other key stakeholders throughout the whole Product Design Lifecycle to provide the best possible experience for our users and customers while constantly keeping an eye out for new opportunities
- Influence and communicate in a compelling way, our vision to a wide variety of stakeholders by creating narratives to frame problems and highlighting the business value of potential solutions
- Develop and champion a strong design thinking culture
- 7-10+ years work experience in Product Design and UI/UX
- 3+ years of people management experience
- Experience with enterprise and platform solutions
- A mindset of “always be learning”
- Mastery of user-centered design methods and advocate of best practices
- Ability to plan, design, execute and communicate at both strategic and tactical levels
- Excellent project management, communication, and presentation skills
- Experience working in cross-functional teams (e.g. Product Design, Product Management, Engineering, Customer Success, Sales, Go To Market, Product Marketing, Marketing, etc.)
Bonus Skills *not required*
- User Research
- Experience building and managing design systems
- Understanding of the ecosystems of learning & development, behavioral science, leadership, employee success, coaching, and/or workforce management
- Please submit your resume and URLs to your portfolio (or repository) including examples of work by the past team(s) you’ve led
- Submissions without a portfolio or samples of work will not be considered
- Fully covered medical, dental, and vision
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible vacation and remote work policies
- Generous professional development stipend
- Commuter stipend for public transportation
Backed by top tier investors, Torch is a fast growing, mission-driven startup made up of psychologically oriented people who are passionate about helping leaders achieve their potential. Torch's platform provides coaches, clients, and our customers with actionable insights into client and organizational strengths and challenges.
We believe leadership matters. The world needs conscious leaders driving invention, inspiration and innovation to solve the biggest opportunities and challenges of our time. Torch exists to create these leaders.
Torch is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. That being said, currently candidates must have authorization to work in the US. We’re building our team to move the world (and ourselves) toward greater leadership. If that sounds worthwhile to you, join us.