Backend Software Engineer (PHP, NodeJS)
At TourRadar, we are a bunch of techy travel experts on a mission to enrich people’s lives through touring. We have built a marketplace platform that brings travellers together with a large number of global and local tour operators and we are committed to providing simple but awesome user experiences to them. By putting a bunch of cutting-edge technologies to good use, we are building an environment where engineers can grow and thrive while helping the company on its global mission.
We are looking for backend engineers who enjoy solving hard problems, who think on their feet and are obsessed with helping accomplish important missions while growing themselves in the process. At TourRadar, we take pride in building an environment of mutual trust and respect, where we have a ton of fun building a world-class tech platform.
- Work within a cross-functional team focused on making an impact in a significant part of our business. You collaborate closely with frontend engineers in building end-to-end, consumer facing applications or internal tools.
- Implement backend services, within a distributed architecture, that encapsulate business logic relative to our many internal domains. You work diligently to ensure the code you write is scalable, and well tested.
- Work in an agile manner, focused on delivering value to customers quickly, breaking down work in smaller chunks that you iterate on quickly.
- Share your knowledge with the broader team on a regular basis, and have opportunities to go beyond and contribute to the wider community and industry.
- Good communication skills. We communicate all day long.
- A growth mindset, and a deep curiosity to learn and improve yourself constantly.
- A tendency to go above and beyond, always looking for ways to improve things around you. You thrive in fast-moving, sometimes ambiguous environments.
- An interest in migrating legacy infrastructures to distributed, service-oriented architectures (e.g. microservices), which we see as an enabler of fast-paced, innovative and agile teams.
- A basic understanding of Domain-Driven Design, and why it matters.
- You strive to write clean code with high test coverage. Being well-versed in PHP is important given our current stack but not mandatory: we believe great software engineers pick up languages easily and tackle whatever needs to be tackled. Our journey to microservices also means using different languages suited to the specifics of each domain.
- Frontend: React, Redux, GraphQL, CSS-in-JS, Babel, Webpack, Typescript/ES6, Jest, Cypress, Netlify, Antd
- Backend: PHP (Symfony and Laravel as frameworks), Python and NodeJS/TypeScript lambda-functions, and Java (for E2E testing)
- Data Stores: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, Redshift
- Containers: Docker
- Automation: Ansible, Terraform
- Deployment: Jenkins, BitBucket pipelines
- Hosting: AWS (EC2, ECS, IAM, S3, SQS, Redshift, Lambda, etc.)
Benefits & Perks
- The stability and excitement of working for a fast scaling Series C funded startup, including Silicon Valley investors.
- The opportunity to grow personally and professionally alongside a well-defined career development path
- Working out of a brand new office right in the heart of Vienna (1st District), including a private BBQ area, a foosball and ping pong table, chill out spaces, etc.
- An international work environment where English is the official working language.
- Regular team outings: a lot of us spontaneously organize trips together within and outside Austria.
- FAM trip: One free tour per year to experience our products with up to 500 euros towards your airfare.
- Possibility of working from other TourRadar locations (Toronto, Brisbane) for a period of time.
This role is based in our Vienna office.