Chief Marketing Officer
United States /
We’re Tovala, a food-tech company reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and fresh food delivery, we make it incredibly simple for anyone to prepare and enjoy delicious, home-cooked meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. Through our superior technology, product experience and food quality, we have separated Tovala from the busy pack of other meal delivery businesses. In the process, we’ve amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following and our retention, product engagement and customer NPS are all best-in-class. We’ve raised over $100mm from great investors like Left Lane Capital, Origin Ventures, Y Combinator and Comcast Ventures and have invested strongly in building a unique culture that fosters growth, personal development and camaraderie.
Tovala is unique. We have invented a product and service that gives people the best of home cooking, without the work. We’ve grown to $150mm of ARR and maintained best-in-class customer retention and engagement. To get to the next level, though, we need a marketer that understands how to translate that into mass adoption. We are looking for someone who likes big challenges, who is ambitious, who is confident with numbers/data, and who has a strong instinct for what will resonate with consumers. We’re looking for an executive leader that’s willing to build conviction behind new ideas, but that understands and appreciates business strategy and that, most of all, has a drive to win.
Chicago Preferred / Remote with travel is okay (1 week / month)
How you’ll spend your time at Tovala
- Overseeing functions across performance, brand, CRM, Creative and Communications
- Setting and executing our growth strategy
- Attached at the hip with our Product team to ensure we’re thinking about how we can leverage Product to drive growth and vice versa
- Partnering with our Operations team to ensure that we’re considering the feasibility of everything we are doing (don’t worry, our ops team says yes to most things that can help the company)
- Working closely with CFO and CEO to set and deliver on quarterly and annual revenue targets
- Investing in the growth and development of your team
- Presenting to our Board of Directors and prospective investors
- Launching Tovala in retail and scaling existing, non-D2C channels (e.g. Amazon)
- Collaborating with finance, product, and brand on messaging, pricing strategies, and business models to achieve revenue goals
- Obsessing over the Tovala prospect customer; understand their motivators, backgrounds, and interests to develop advertising and compelling messaging that speaks to them
- Pushing our thinking on alternative strategies and channels to acquire customers
- 10+ years in diversified leadership roles, driving and implementing revenue growth
- Proven ability to attract, develop and retain great talent - successful track record of managing, building, and scaling highly effective and diverse teams
- Experience successfully scaling and running a native digital business with a minimum of $50 million in e-commerce revenue, ideally with experience in subscription, new-to-market and high-consideration products
- Strong ability to synthesize quantitative and qualitative data into actionable insights about the customer, the channel, and the business
- Deep appreciation for the importance of building a great culture with happy and motivated team members
- Strong knowledge of cross-channel marketing, native advertising, programmatic, and the latest trends in digital advertising
- Significant general management and P&L experience
Compensation & Benefits
- Tovala uses market data, geography, and placement of internal employees to determine appropriate salary. Additionally, we offer all employees real ownership in the company in the form of a competitive equity package.
- Unlimited paid time off (with a minimum of 15 days off you HAVE to take)
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage we really invest in
- 401k with match
- Free Tovala Smart Oven and discounted Tovala meals
- Paid holidays and our winter holiday office shutdown where the offices and facilities close for a week around Christmas and New Years
- Various other perks - recognition programs, continued learning stipend, casual dress code, in-office coffee, snacks and drinks, and Tovala swag
The values we hold dear
Put the team first
We put what is best for the broader team ahead of what is best for ourselves or our immediate department.
Get s#!t done (well)
We celebrate people at all levels for delivering high impact work that expands the bounds of what we’re able to do.
Connect the dots
We engage with curiosity to learn how our work impacts others so that we can problem-solve holistically and work collaboratively.
We share our perspective openly and directly, even when it feels difficult to do so.
Embrace the obstacles
We rise to meet challenges with a sense of urgency, resolve, and optimism.
Champion the customer
We consider and prioritize our customer in all of our decisions
At Tovala we‘re committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here!