Manager of IT Operations
116 West Hastings St., Vancouver, BC
Technology – IT Operations
Reporting to the Director of Technology, the Manager of IT Operations will plan, organize, and manage a team of dedicated employees, contractors, and managed services vendors to ensure the stable operation of the organization's IT infrastructure and operations. Our infrastructure spans multiple physical locations with hundreds of combined users.
The ideal candidate is willing to work in an agile environment, managing multiple competing priorities and assignments. They must be capable enough to balance maintaining business continuity and planning for future demand while always delivering an exceptional internal customer experience.
Primary responsibilities include developing, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing key functional areas, such as:
Help Desk functions:
- Network, server, and storage infrastructure.
- Information security.
- Application management.
- Data communications.
- Telecommunications systems.
- Office equipment such as workstations, printers.
- New store openings.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain policies and standard procedures for all IT services and Help Desk.
- Manage relationships and projects with consultants and managed service vendors.
- Manage and set priorities for the design, maintenance, development, and evaluation of all infrastructure systems, including LANs, WANs, VPNs, Internet, intranet, wireless implementations.
- Manage and set priorities for the sourcing, maintenance, and installation of all office technology, including workstations, laptops, printers, desk phones, mobile phones, keycards, and alarm systems.
- Manage and set priorities for the design, maintenance, development, and evaluation of all server systems, including VMware, Microsoft AD, Exchange, SQL, SharePoint, and network storage.
- Supervise and contribute to a team of staff that operate Help Desk and perform all day-to-day IT operations.
- Oversee Help Desk to ensure that service is timely, professional, and meets standards and guidelines, providing team feedback and coaching as required.
- Help prepare and maintain departmental budgets.
- Ensure reliable and secure access to applications by monitoring and proactively optimizing the performance of servers, applications, and networks.
- Update and maintain disaster recovery and business continuity plans.
- Proactively maintain service packs and patches on all servers and workstations.
- Manage employee training and reference materials for all new systems, technology, and applications.
- Ensure system upgrades or modifications are made with minimal downtime or disruption of service by planning, automation, and thorough testing.
- Maintain network and computer security with policy enforcement, patches, antivirus, spam filtering, spyware protection, and intrusion prevention.
- Track and control IT assets throughout their life-cycle, including inventory, preventative maintenance, and replacement.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong and thorough knowledge of Microsoft technologies including Office 365, Active Directory, Windows server, and desktop environments, SharePoint, Exchange, SQL.
- Strong and thorough knowledge of Microsoft Terminal Services and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solutions.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to service excellence.
- Solid communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Proven ability to collaborate and work with multi-disciplinary, cross-functional teams.
- General project management skills.
- Functional knowledge of LAN/WAN protocols such as TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, SMTP & SNMP.
- Experience with ERP system administration (installation, upgrading, backup, and recovery).
- Experience with warehouse/logistics related IT technology (barcode scanners, RFID, etc).
- Knowledge of office construction and related IT infrastructure planning and installation (power, data, workstations).
Experience and Credentials
- Post-secondary degree from an accredited post-secondary institution in an applicable field such as IT, Computer Science, or similar.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in troubleshooting hardware, software, and networks.
- 5+ years of lead or supervisory experience within IT infrastructure and service desk teams or similar.
- 5+ years of extensive experience with data center operations, VMware, phone (PBX & VOIP) systems, and SAN environments.
Trail Appliances was founded over 40 years ago by people who are passionate about providing innovative appliances from around the world that fit any budget and lifestyle. Many things have changed over the years, but our commitment to providing an exceptional customer experience at every touch-point remains. Our history has been one of great success, and our future looks even brighter!
Come join our team and see what Trail has to offer: incredible career and development opportunities, team-building events and amazing parties for our employees and their families.