Senior IT Engineer
Operations – IT /
About Trail of Bits
Trail of Bits helps secure the world’s most targeted organizations and products. We combine high-end security research with a real-world attacker mentality to reduce risk and fortify code.
As a cybersecurity research and consulting firm, we serve clients in the defense, tech, finance, and blockchain industries. We help with their most difficult security challenges by designing and building new technology, researching new techniques to advance the state of practice, and reviewing the security of the latest available technology products before they hit the market.
Our team consumes, produces, and presents research as a natural part of doing business. When we make new discoveries or developments, we strive to share our knowledge and release our tools as open source. It’s a practice that’s earned us industry accolades and helped contribute to our double-digit bottom-line growth.
We are seeking an experienced and self-motivated senior IT engineer to join our team. This role will ensure the security, stability, and functionality of the global endpoint fleet, while keeping up on advancements and changes in hardware, operating systems, and tooling. The senior IT engineer will work to preserve the technological integrity of Trail of Bits’s internal systems and IT infrastructure.
This individual loves to solve problems at scale, promoting consistent and seamless experiences for our end users and our fully remote and globally located team of engineers and operational staff. They are passionate about providing the best customer service experience possible.
- Manage and maintain the company’s security compliance posture. This includes ensuring the company’s compliance with security-awareness and activity-specific training, SOC 2, and CMMC, as well as ensuring compliance as it relates to client audits.
- Collaborate with the operations, security, and engineering teams to coordinate on IT policies.
- Build policies and write scripts to support company-owned devices.
- Develop and maintain IT-related documentation on supported applications, processes, and training materials for internal employees.
- Work with the People Operations team, the Business Operations team, and other stakeholders to continuously improve and automate our onboarding and offboarding processes.
- Develop tooling processes to facilitate end user asset management, provisioning, and tracking.
- Manage and respond to the general IT support queue in Slack.
- Provide administrative and technical support for critical workplace tools, including Google Workspace, GitHub, Slack, and SimpleMDM.
- Further develop and manage system monitoring and support automation.
- Develop and maintain a reporting process to monitor the overall inventory fleet and the health and compliance state of all devices.
- Manage the provisioning and deprovisioning of Windows, Mac, and Linux devices.
- Manage the company’s software licenses, including the documentation and management of license usage and the management of general license inventory and renewals.
- Proactively maintain the company’s network security posture by enumerating poor configurations and practices, conducting vulnerability scans, and testing and applying patches and updates as needed.
- 7+ years of experience in a similar role.
- 5+ years of experience working with endpoint management in large device environments with open-source tools or MDM systems.
- Well versed in using and providing administrative and technical support for critical workplace tools, such as Slack, Google Workspace, GitHub, and SimpleMDM; experienced and knowledgeable in authentication and access control using OAuth 2.0, FIDO/U2F, TOTP/HOTP, and other multi-factor authentication.
- Expert-level experience in macOS administration.
- Ability to write scripts in at least one language.
- Experience with GitHub, Google Workspace, and Slack.
- Experience with deploying and managing cloud services company-wide.
- Experience with writing standard security operating procedures.
- Knowledge of SOC 2 and CMMC compliance requirements.
- Familiarity with implementing controls in NIST SP 800-171/800-53.
- Excellent communication skills and a customer service focus.
- Before, during and after COVID-19, our workforce works flexibly. Many employees choose to work from home around the globe. As long as you deliver against your goals, we encourage you to harness your personal working style to let you work best.
- Liberal expense policy for acquiring the equipment and software that help you do your job. If we need hardware to work effectively, we buy it.
- We offer exceptional and tailored technical, leadership and organizational training for our team members. Everyone is encouraged to identify additional opportunities for personal professional growth with working at Trail of Bits.
- We routinely highlight the amazing work our employees do via our blog, product offerings, and conference talks. We celebrate you!
- We're at the forefront of a number of markets and have the internal expertise and the ambition to capitalize on those opportunities. Our employees see their work in use and valued by many others.
Benefits for US Employees
- Multiple generous health, vision, and dental insurance plans including no-monthly-premium options supporting individuals and families through JustWorks.
- Ancillary benefits including life and disability insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, free Citi Bike membership, access to a HealthAdvocate, a healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and a free One Medical membership.
- 4 months paid parental leave.
- 401k with 5% company matching through Betterment.
- Moving expenses: $5,000 one-time.
- Charitable donations matching up to $2,000.
- One time $1,000 at home office expense stipend.
- $500/year personal learning & development budget.
- Executive coaching for managers and above.
- Options for coworking space (some restrictions may apply).
- Bonuses for recruiting, public speaking, tool releases, blog posts, academic posters, proposals, and whitepapers, and end-of-year bonuses based on company, team, and personal performance.
- 20 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) per year.
- 14 company holidays per year.
- Carbon offsets for your personal and corporate carbon emissions through Project Wren.
- Manage your student loans right alongside your 401(k) in Betterment.
Dedication to diversity, equity & inclusion
Trail of Bits is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace where our employees can thrive and be themselves! We welcome all persons into our community. We embrace the diversity of gender, gender identity or expression, race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, physical and mental disabilities, medical condition, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, marital status, family care or medical leave status, military or veteran status, or perceived membership in any of these groups.