Senior Security Engineer, Research
Remote (work from home) /
Research & Engineering – Research /
About Trail of Bits
Trail of Bits helps secure the world’s most targeted organizations and products. We combine high-end security research with a real-world attacker mentality to reduce risk and fortify code.
As a cybersecurity research and consulting firm, we serve clients in the defense, tech, finance, and blockchain industries. We help with their most difficult security challenges by designing and building new technology, researching new techniques to advance the state of practice, and reviewing the security of the latest available technology products before they hit the market.
Our team consumes, produces, and presents research as a natural part of doing business. When we make new discoveries or developments, we strive to share our knowledge and release our tools as open-source. It’s a practice that’s earned us industry accolades and helped contribute to our double-digit bottom-line growth.
Join our Engineering Services team
Our engineering services team works closely with commercial customers in tech, defense, and finance on quick-response feature development, security infrastructure deployment troubleshooting, security vulnerability triage and remediation, and bug fixes. We adopt and support the best of open-source security software for our work, and regularly contribute enhancements to these projects as a result.
We enjoy knowing that our work is making an impact and helping to secure organizations all over the world, and that we are delivering improvements to software used by thousands. We regularly interact with the open source community, collaborate with its many talented contributors, and share the opportunity to hear directly from real users.
This role is software development and client/community engagement for our commercial customers, in a variety of open-source and closed-source security-focused software. The focus areas are endpoint security, security agents, host telemetry, security engineering, vulnerability triage and remediation, build systems, logging pipelines, and associated security infrastructure.
Software development will be primarily in C++, with frequent Python, and occasionally Go, Rust, or Swift. The role involves not just maintenance development, but also frequent creative and analytic challenges to design features and review existing implementations with a critical lens.
This is an engineering position, where the focus is to integrate novel features into production systems. It does not involve direct operations like service monitoring and maintenance.
You will typically work in teams of 2-4 people, all from remote locations, in roughly 4-8 week development cycles. Technical leads will assign responsibilities to you and other team members, and you will develop proofs of concept, prototypes, and enhancements to existing tools in support of a project's goals. You will have opportunities to work for a variety of clients throughout a typical year.
Frequent communication with team members and clients is essential to success, and writing about your work publicly is encouraged and incentivized.
This is a fully remote position (travel rarely required).
The base salary range for this role is $160,000-$250,000 DOE.
- Root-cause analysis and debugging on low-level technical issues.
- Contributing fixes and enhancements to large cross-platform codebases.
- Interpreting customer requirements, decomposing tasks, and making engineering estimates.
- Designing and building solutions that balance performance, security, and functionality requirements.
- Directly speaking daily with your team typically within core hours and coordinating asynchronously outside of core hours to organize tasking.
- Describe and explain technical concepts to clients, community, and co-workers.
Requirements & Skills
- 3+ years or more of experience in professional software development focused on desktop or server software (applications or kernel-level).
- Proficiency in system-level programming in C++ and/or Python, for either Linux, macOS or Windows. Experience with more than one is a plus.
- Experience applying “modern C++” language features in your work.
- This is a senior role for a fully remote position, so an ability to work remotely and independently set goals and find solutions.
- A startup mentality with a bias to action and the ability to flex in a fast-paced environment.
- Related experience in a security monitoring, security testing, security response, vulnerability research, cryptography engineering or other security role is a plus.
- Previous experience in open source projects is a plus.
- Comfortable speaking or writing directly to customers to give status reports on progress and to solicit feedback and new requirements.
- Must live in the United States.
- Before, during and after COVID-19, our workforce works flexibly. Many employees choose to work from home around the globe. As long as you deliver against your goals, we encourage you to harness your personal working style to let you work best.
- Liberal expense policy for acquiring the equipment and software that help you do your job. If we need hardware to work effectively, we buy it.
- We offer exceptional and tailored technical, leadership and organizational training for our team members. Everyone is encouraged to identify additional opportunities for personal professional growth with working at Trail of Bits.
- We routinely highlight the amazing work our employees do via our blog, product offerings, and conference talks. We celebrate you!
- We're at the forefront of a number of markets and have the internal expertise and the ambition to capitalize on those opportunities. Our employees see their work in use and valued by many others.
- Multiple generous health, vision, and dental insurance plans including no-monthly-premium options supporting individuals and families through Justworks.
- Ancillary benefits including life and disability insurance, pre-tax commuter benefits, free Citi Bike membership, access to a HealthAdvocate, a healthcare Flexible Spending Account (FSA), and a free One Medical membership.
- 14 paid company holidays and four weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO).
- 4 months paid parental leave.
- 401k with 5% company matching through Betterment.
- Annual charitable donation matching up to $2,000.
- Bonuses for recruiting, public speaking, tool releases, blog posts, academic posters, proposals, and whitepapers, and end-of-year bonuses based on company, team, and personal performance.
- Carbon offsets for your personal and corporate carbon emissions through Project Wren
- Manage your student loans right alongside your 401(k) in Betterment.
Dedication to diversity, equity & inclusion
Trail of Bits is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse and inclusive workplace where our employees can thrive and be themselves! We welcome all persons into our community. We embrace the diversity of gender, gender identity or expression, race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, physical and mental disabilities, medical condition, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, marital status, family care or medical leave status, military or veteran status, or perceived membership in any of these groups