Manticore GUI Summer Intern (2021)
Research – Internships /
About Trail of Bits
Join our team!
Trail of Bits helps secure the world’s most targeted organizations and products. We combine high-end security research with a real-world attacker mentality to reduce risk and fortify code.
As a cybersecurity research and consulting firm, we serve clients in the defense, tech, finance, and blockchain industries. We help with their most difficult security challenges by designing and building new technology, researching new techniques to advance the state of practice, and reviewing the security of the latest available technology products before they hit the market.
Our team consumes, produces, and presents research as a natural part of doing business. When we make new discoveries or developments, we strive to share our knowledge and release our tools as open-source. It’s a practice that’s earned us industry accolades and helped contribute to our double-digit bottom line growth.
This role is for an internship project centered around developing an easy-to-use graphical user interface for Manticore, one of our program analysis tools. You will be working on a mix of Graphical User Interface (GUI) development and expanding existing tool features for GUI use and compatibility.
This internship position is entirely remote. You will be expected to sync daily with your mentor who will assign tasks to you and provide guidance. At the conclusion of your internship you will present your work and write a blog about your experience.
We are looking for a driven and self-motivated individual. It is important that you’re interested in both exploring designing a user interface and working with program analysis and reverse engineering tools. This project is research and development, so you should also be comfortable working in a more exploratory style.
- Connect daily to describe progress, setbacks, ideas, and concerns
- Create maintainable code and understand users' needs
- Develop user-friendly GUI features for a program analysis tool
- Expand existing tool features for GUI development
- Years of experience are negotiable.
- High School or College degree not required.
- Experience with GUI development.
- Strong programming skills in Python, C/C++, or similar language. (This position will involve Python programming.)
- Experience with symbolic execution, systems programming, program analysis topics like dynamic binary instrumentation, symbolic execution, and abstract interpretation.
- Familiar with the agile development, Github flow, and modern software engineering practices.
- Clear communicator and quick to participate in deep technical discussions.
- Highly self-motivated and able to drive new projects and attracted to learning new technologies.
- Adept at writing. (We encourage our interns to post their accomplishments on our blog.)
- Proficient debugging and vulnerability analysis skills with reverse engineering experience is a plus.
- Familiarity with smart contracts a plus.
Our salaries are competitive, benefits are generous, and our culture is relaxed. In the past, our researchers and engineers have turned their personal projects into funded work! If you have your own project ideas we can help you work on them.
At Trail of Bits, you will work closely with really smart people in the security industry. We have a culture of technical collaboration and skill sharing, and we encourage all our staff to talk publicly about their work at conferences and online.
Consider an internship with Trail of Bits!