Family Line Operator (Cis Allies)
United States or Canada
Trans Lifeline's new SOFFA (Significant Others, Friends, Family and Allies) program needs your help!
Trans Lifeline is a crisis hotline by trans people for trans people. Trans Lifeline Family Line, a hotline for loved ones of trans, nonbinary and/or questioning people, is looking for volunteers who can use their lived experience help our callers support their loved ones better. Our operators are trained to listen non-judgmentally and help our callers access resources, provide any help they may require or be a listening ear in a time of need. Our operators are highly encouraged to strive to be culturally competent and empathetic to help our diverse transgender community. We provide continuing training and support to all operators to reach these goals. We value the lived experience of our operators. Although this position is unpaid, we do offer peer support from our volunteer community, staff, and continuing education through our ongoing training programs.
- Be a significant other, family member, friend or otherwise care about a trans, nonbinary and/or questioning person.
- Be over 18.
- Have access to a phone and internet that you can use at the same time. You will use your phone to take calls, and the internet to keep in touch with the Trans Family Lifeline team and to pull up resources for callers.
- Show empathy and compassion.
- Be available at least two hours a week.
- Online training course with self study resources and polls, discussions, live webinars, and individualized mentoring by phone or video conference. A minimum of 32 hours total, most self-paced; multiple options to participate in required live webinars and schedule your individual phone mentoring to fit your schedule.
- Ongoing mentorship under an experienced team lead.
- Ongoing training modules (continuing education) through Trans Family Lifeline and other partner orgs.
This is a work from home volunteer position for people in the US & Canada. All training and interviews will be conducted over phone or video chat.
Trans Lifeline would not be possible without the help of hundreds of trans people who have showed up to volunteer as crisis operators and support our community.
More information is available on our web site.
Trans Lifeline is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.