A Research volunteer’s role is to help build our Microgrants resource library. Our Microgrants resource library relies on research of ID processes for each state, down to their counties if necessary, and requires constant maintenance as laws and fees change regularly over time. Without our researchers, we may miss hidden fees or documents associated in certain states. The goal, due to the overwhelming bureaucracy that comes with navigating ID changes, is to provide the recipient with enough accurate information and support to navigate these processes only once if possible. Our work not only eliminates these extra steps, but helps keep our recipients safe from interacting with environments that may be hostile. Research volunteers work to keep the library as up to date as possible, and seek out local resources such as clinics or legal services, to direct our clients to where they can be advocated for. Research entails looking up county or state fees and processes for name changes, and being in contact with county clerks about getting proper forms for the process. It also can include looking up publication processes in the counties that require it, and keeping up to date with fees and forms for state identification.
The expectations of research volunteering is to go through brief training with other volunteers, attend a monthly research meeting, and to complete research assignments, usually two a month. Research involves a lot of computer work, sending emails, and oftentimes making phone calls to get the info you need.
- Have access to a phone - you will be answering calls on your phone.
- Have access to the internet - all our trainings and ongoing communication between our staff and you will be online.
- You also need to be access the internet to find resources and keep in touch with the Microgrants team.
- Show empathy and compassion.
- Online training course with self study resources and polls, discussions, live webinars, and individualized mentoring by phone or video conference.
- Ongoing mentorship under experienced staff.
- Ongoing training modules.
Contact email@example.com with any questions!