Richmond, Kentucky /
TRB designs and manufactures high-performance lightweight structures that enable clean transportation solutions. We are changing the industry by providing high-volume composite parts that decrease weight while improving performance, safety, and durability.
TRB America is a joint venture between TRB Lightweight Structures (headquartered in the UK) and Toyota Tsusho, launched to manufacture advanced composite components for electric vehicles.
We are looking for a General Manager to help us achieve our vision of accelerating the transition to electric vehicles. We are building an innovative company that supports our customers and our employees. The GM will be directly responsible for all aspects of our rapidly growing business, including technical innovation, team building, operational excellence, customer satisfaction, and financial health.
- Build the team and create a ‘can do’ culture.
- Create a world class semi-automated composites production facility.
- Manage the P&L of the operation.
- Manage customer relationships.
- Achieve and enhance quality certifications such as ISO9001 and IATF16949.
- Implement a fast-paced lean production system.
- Report to the TRB/Toyota board.
Overall Responsibilities and Operational Performance:
- Ensure that all jobs are manufactured correctly, cost efficiently and delivered on time in accordance to customer build specifications and quality requirements. Providing a set of measures to demonstrate performance in these areas.
- Manage change to meet current business requirements.
- Ensure all non value added activities are reduced in all manufacturing processes through Kaizen events and lean tools. Implement manufacturing improvement processes to reduce inventory, increase throughput and minimize cost.
- Promote the Company’s performance standards and values.
- Ensure operational excellence.
- Set KPIs, goals and objectives for the management team.
Sales & Commercial:
- Manage customer relationships, communications, contracts and pricing negotiations.
- Lead the direct US sales and new business development activities by working with the UK Sales team in finding and developing potential new customers.
- Manage the planning and scheduling work requirements to ensure production output and on time delivery is achieved.
- Ensure the production capacity plan allows for the production department to have sufficient time to manufacture and deliver on time according to the customer request.
- Manage the customer order / schedule and delivery requirements.
- Ensure a plan is deployed to the production team, prioritizing daily work requirements to the shop floor with appropriate deadlines and targets. Monitoring workloads accordingly.
- Monitor and review production progress against targets to ensure on time delivery.
- Adjust the production schedule as required, communicating changes to delivery with the customer and other areas of the business affected by these changes.
- Monitor and review all production related activity to ensure that quality standards are being achieved.
- Ensure that all production activity is time and cost efficient / effective.
- Ensure the production department has the correct headcount, skill base and knowledge and competence required to achieve production targets.
- Ensure all training is delivered according to the training plan. Identify training needs; implement, monitor and review development plans. Award next level pay increments to personnel upon completion of basic level training and inline with production direct labor cost budgets.
- Ensure all people practices are carried out in accordance with Company procedures and employment law.
- Conduct annual performance reviews, setting goals and objectives for all production employees resulting in a high performing team.
- Monitor, review and address any underperformers, liaising with the HR Manager as appropriate.
- Address any employee discipline or grievance issues, working within the parameters of the company's guidelines and employment law.
- Ensure the production process and equipment being used and work environment are all conducive to producing a high quality product.
- Ensure that rejected product / nonconforming product is rectified as high priority, working with the quality department to keep customers informed appropriately.
- Ensure the correct non conformance paperwork is raised and processed in line with the company's quality policy.
Health & Safety:
- Promote and maintain awareness of the Company’s H&S policies and legislation.
- Actively champion the H&S process within the business.
- Be an active member of the H&S committee.
- Prepare and communicate budgets to the Managing Director and Finance Director, anticipating cost and identified savings throughout the year.
- Work with the Company’s guidelines with regard to CAPEX and general purchases.
Key skills required
- 5 + years of GM operations experience or in a senior leadership role.
- 10+ years experience in manufacturing.
- Strong ‘Lean’ background.
- Clear experience and philosophy for building high-performance teams.
- Ability to motivate and inspire.
- Excellent business sense, problem solving, project management and analytical skills.
- Strong leadership, influencing and teamwork skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience within the manufacturing sector preferred.
- Graduate degree in engineering, business or commensurate experience.
- Has worked in a small start-up like company before with end to end finance involvement.
- Worked in manufacturing or similar industry.
- Worked in a company with various stakeholders and requirements.
- Understand 5S, Continuous Improvement and 8D methodologies.