Backend Engineering Lead
Treasure Data is a fast growing startup launched in 2011 that focuses on data analytics at scale. In order to process the large volume of data our customers demand, we had to built a resilient and extensible backend, which is the heart of our platform.
We are seeking a Backend Engineering Lead - in this role, you will lead the Backend team in making key technical and design decisions while having the opportunity to contribute amazing code along with them. If you are a smart, motivated developer with 8 years of proven, hands-on experience with the backend of large-scale distributed systems, you might just be the key person we’re looking for. This role is as technically demanding as it gets — if you're interested in tackling a real challenge, this is the job for you.
You will collaborate and lead your team in specifying, designing, and developing software that meets company and product requirements. You will also be responsible for tracking the progress of your team on key initiatives and reporting project status to the senior leadership.
Things you will do
- Lead the team to implement a robust and scalable data platform, integrating with existing technologies such as Hadoop/Hive and Presto.
- Lead the design and implementation of key features and components of the backend.
- Apply your software design and systems programming principles.
- Day-to-day communications with company stakeholders and customers as needed.
- Join and mentor a high-impact, multi-talented engineering team.
- Ensure your team remains focused and motivated.
- Create, maintain, own, and operate the backend services that support fundamental capabilities of the Treasure Data Platform.
- Tackle challenging high availability problems for a service whose primary concern is scaling and adaptability to usage growth.
- Help evaluate and choose emerging technologies, new service protocols and architectures, self-healing capabilities, performance, and code quality tooling, etc.
- Write high quality, maintainable code with extensive test coverage in a fast-paced startup environment with tight schedules.
Your background and skills will include
- 8+ years of proven success building and maintaining the back-end of large-scale SaaS products.
- B.S. or M.S. in CS or a related field, with a solid understanding of computer science.
- Strong systems programming background on UNIX: multi-threading, distributed computing, performance analysis, tracing, failure modes, and optimization experience.
- Proficient with Java. Good experience with Ruby.
- Proficiency and hands-on experience with cloud IaaS providers (GCP, Azure, but AWS is preferred).
- You’re comfortable with traditional databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL) and with key-value or document stores (DynamoDB, Redis, Cassandra).
- Ability to learn quickly and display solid logic/engineering thinking.
- Ability to provide concrete examples of systems where you led design and development and to articulate the reasoning behind choices in the design.
- You understand scalability challenges and performance of server-side code
- You can design and develop horizontally scalable, resilient, and high performance REST services.
- You are collaborative and an effective communicator.
- You are able to abstract your emotions from decision making and conflict resolution.
Bonus Points for
- When hiring engineers, we admire candidates that share their knowledge, have exposure, or have made contributions to Open Source. Please include whatever information you believe is relevant: GitHub profile, code samples, links to personal projects, talks, meetups, etc..
- Deep understanding of Hadoop, it’s architecture, and components.
Working at Treasure Data
You can expect a work environment where the team is collaborative and open to your ideas, while we keep our collective eye on supporting our customers’ needs. Our team is committed to technical innovation in our product and in the world through customer collaboration, open-source projects, and by continuing to make our product an integral part of our customers’ growth and success.
We’re committed to our employees having a big stake in the company as we grow it towards our shared goals. We’re uncompromising in hiring top talent for every function, offering competitive salaries, benefits and stock options, as well as a casual, comfortable work environment, with free lunches.
Treasure Data provides an end-to-end, fully managed cloud service (data acquisition, storage and analysis capability) for Big Data that is trusted and simple. As the original developers of Fluentd, an advanced open-source log collector specifically designed to solve the big data log collection problem, Treasure Data solves the problems for companies wanting the ability to manage their big data needs. Treasure Data is backed by top investors like Sierra Ventures and Scale Venture Partners. In addition to our Silicon Valley headquarters, we have offices in Tokyo and Seoul.
Agencies and recruiters, we cannot consider your candidate(s) without a contract in place. Any resumes received without having an active agreement will be considered gratis referrals to us. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!