General Manager, Egypt
General Management – General Management /
Ready to change the world? We’re reinventing freight and logistics at Trella. We’re a YC-backed technology company and we're looking for the best talent out there to help us build and scale our product offering. We aspire to create a step-change in the industry and we want you to be a part of the journey!
About the Role:
At Trella, we are always seeking to innovate and deliver best-in-class service for shippers and carriers. Becoming the freight platform of choice is a company mission and goal. We believe that through our platform, we can tackle the extreme inefficiencies that we see in the day-to-day operations of the transportation industry, thus reducing the costs of the overall market.
As the General Manager of Egypt, you will have the opportunity to shape Trella’s core and leading market. You will play a vital role in all aspects of the country’s success, from diverse and intelligent hiring, to strategically directing our expansion efforts, navigating regulatory relationships, driving shipper acquisition, motivating the operational team, owning the P&L, spearheading Egypt’s growth and expansion strategy and engaging in creative problem solving with the leadership team.
You will be in charge of the following:
- Managing a team of intelligent, motivated and hardworking individuals
- Building for scale throughout your organization in terms of team structure
- On top of the hiring strategy and talent acquisition efforts with the People team
- Developing key partnerships on the commercial and governmental end
- Accountable for building and driving execution on commercial targets for both top and bottom line
- Responsible for developing the market strategy on growth and expansion
- Advocating for the local team with the central Product and Tech teams
- Act as the cross functional partner to the many teams that do not directly report to you, but are critical to successful execution of your plan, including Community Operations, People, Finance, Sales, Marketing, and Product/Engineering
- You will be reporting directly to Trella’s COO
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Define Egypt’s vision and implement Trella’s operational, commercial, and policy strategies across Egypt’s core business units
- Follow your vision, strategy and investment decisions to deliver results for the Egypt market, including financial performance to plan, sustainable competitive advantage, and team engagement.
- Oversee budgeting, P&L performance, and financial optimization to reach profitability targetsNegotiating and renewing, as well as supporting, our largest partnerships alongside the Sales team - think major enterprise accounts and big name corporate entities
- Developing long-term relationships and key partnerships with strategic entities in the market (i.e. Government, General Authorities for Roads..etc)Growth of the business.
- Execution is key. You will be responsible for growing loads, carrier/shipper engagement, and revenue in a highly competitive space
- Recruit, build, and lead a team of rockstars. You will be responsible for defining hiring needs in Egypt and bringing on top Ops & Sales talents to help execute on the day-to-day, while also setting the future strategy
- Representing our brand and business in the media, in front of politicians and policymakers, and at external events. Contribute and share best practices with Trella’s Central functions (i.e. CommOps, Finance, People ..etc)
What Skills You’ll Need:
- 7+ years proven success in a similar role - leading operations/logistics, management consulting, investment banking, startups, leading diverse teams, developing procedures, optimizing systems, and achieving benchmark operational goals.
- Evidence of complete ownership of a complex project with many partners highly valued.A competent, decisive and optimistic leader that can rally many teams and stakeholders to achieve a shared vision
- Analytical Thinking. Data-driven mentality and strong business judgment.
- Able to roll up your sleeves and analyze the data and pull key insights for your team.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Able to build and manage strong relationships with their team, cross-functional colleagues, and external partnersEntrepreneurship mentality. Must be a self-starter and leader that assumes the risks and rewards of running an innovative sustainable operations.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills. Able to communicate and listen effectively; great written, verbal and presentation skillsLeadership by example. Able to motivate, inspire and create an inclusive and positive work environment for all.
- Strong management skills: You are comfortable and familiar managing a large team of diverse backgrounds and you are able to organize the team and rally them to key milestones.
- A passion for logistics and freight, Trella, and growing and leading a team. Passionate about the overall goals of a trucking/logistics marketplace and sustainable transportation. BA/BS with impressive academic record. Advanced degree is a plus.
Trella aims to structure and regulate the freight industry with a goal of improving efficiency and reducing waste throughout the entire supply chain. This can only be achieved through building technology to create an interconnected network of carriers and shippers. Through this technology, Trella will improve shipping routes, increase truck utilization and efficiently batch shipments. This will effectively reduce costs throughout the entire supply chain, improving carrier and shipper economics and ensure both ends of the marketplace profitably grow their businesses - creating unprecedented economic opportunities in the logistics space - while reducing environmental waste.