Senior Software Engineer, Core Platform
Los Altos, CA; Ann Arbor, MI /
Automated Driving – Vehicle Software Platform & Robust Integration /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
- Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
- Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
- Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
- Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
- Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. Come work with TRI if you’re interested in transforming mobility through designing technology for safer cars, enabling the elderly to age in place, or designing alternative fuel sources. Start your impossible with us.
TRI's Vehicle Software Platform team is developing software tools to enable deployment of software functionality across large fleets of vehicles, testing and quality control of advanced vehicle automation systems, and online integrity and safety monitoring of those systems. We're looking for phenomenal software engineers who are passionate about improving the lives of millions through deploying robust robotic systems. No prior robotics experience is necessary, although it doesn't hurt.
- Collaborate with other software engineers and research scientists to develop and maintain tools and algorithms for use within the automated driving vehicle effort.
- Collaborate with researchers throughout TRI to help disseminate sound software engineering practices.
- Work with and between multiple technical teams to understand and ensure complete system functionality.
- Participate in system design including characterization of module functionality and requirements as a component within a complex real-time software system.
- Live and breathe the software practices that produce maintainable code, including automated testing, continuous integration, code style conformity, and code review.
- 4+ years of professional experience working with C/C++ and Linux
- You have strong communication skills and are an extraordinary teammate
- Strong understanding of common software performance issues and tradeoffs.
- Deep understanding of real-time, distributed, and parallel computing.
- Familiarity with automating testing practices.
- Experience in Robotics, AI, or Machine Learning a plus.
- General experience in Linux networking, ROS/ROS2. and GPU/CUDA fundamentals a plus.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.