Staff Research Scientist and Technical Leader
Los Altos, CA; Ann Arbor, MI
Automated Driving – Planning & Control
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
- Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
- Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
- Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
- Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
- Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. Come work with TRI if you’re interested in transforming mobility through designing technology for safer cars, enabling the elderly to age in place, or designing alternative fuel sources. Start your impossible with us.
TRI's Plan and Control team is building the decision making, planning, and execution technology required to develop the uncrashable Toyota. We are doing cutting edge research in the decision systems required for fully autonomous cars in addition to exploring highly dynamic control regimes and blended driver-machine control techniques to build the ultimate fun, yet safe, car of the future. We are leveraging advances in AI, Planning, and Control Theory to realize a scalable, verifiable system to solve the L5 driving problem in the long term, while making a difference in society in the short term through our Guardian and Chauffeur systems.
- Work closely with Dir. of Planning and Control to develop technology roadmaps, consistent with TRI’s strategic objectives
- Execute the technology roadmap through technical leadership while working with a group of world-class roboticists and researchers
- Prioritize team efforts based on experience to maintain the appropriate balance between near-term and long-term research
- Provide technical guidance to the team on the approaches explored as well as the integration with the autonomy stack
- Identify opportunities for establishing TRI as a thought leader in the space of Autonomous Driving through publications, patents, and technology transfer
- Motivate and influence team members to steer them in the right direction to accomplish the goals and milestones
- PhD in Motion Planning, Decision Making, Robotics or equivalent with 6+ years of experience in related position
- Proven track record of designing, implementing, and fielding robotic systems (required)
- Strong communication skills with the ability to influence internal and external members and must be a team player
- Exemplifies solid leadership skills, especially in people management, program execution, team-building
- Experience managing a medium team, i.e., 12+ persons
- Experience developing C++ software preferred
- Experience with Machine Learning techniques preferred
- Familiarity with automated testing practices preferred
- Experience in Autonomous Driving required
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.