Machine Learning Data Engineer
Los Altos, CA; Ann Arbor, MI /
Automated Driving – Machine Learning /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
- Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
- Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
- Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
- Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
- Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. Come work with TRI if you’re interested in transforming mobility through designing technology for safer cars, enabling the elderly to age in place, or designing alternative fuel sources. Start your impossible with us.
Our Machine Learning (ML) team is looking for world-class research scientists and engineers to turn Toyota's data advantage into an AI advantage. As the #1 car maker in the world with 100 million cars on the road today, we can learn from massive amounts of data to realize safe automated driving on a global scale. Our team's mission is to use all the data to identify and solve open research problems on the critical path to automated driving. We are working on some of the hardest challenges in the area of perception (e.g., scene understanding, 3D vision, tracking), prediction (e.g., handling uncertainty, predicting human behavior, trajectory forecasting), planning (e.g., understanding and reacting to human intent, multi-agent modeling), and general machine learning (e.g., self-supervised learning, imitation learning, active learning, multi-task learning, domain adaptation, robustness to the heavy tail of edge cases, efficient deep learning, large scale distributed training). We invent new Deep Learning algorithms that can leverage massive amounts of data (labeled or not), experimentally showing state-of-the-art performance (both in internal benchmarks and public ones, publishing at top Machine Learning and Computer Vision conferences and collaborating with our university partners). We work closely with other teams at TRI to transfer and ship our most successful algorithms and models towards world-scale long-term autonomy.
As a Machine Learning Data Engineer, you will contribute to state-of-the-art machine learning data infrastructure and relevant software specific to data management, data analysis, and data mining at unparalleled scale. You will implement robust software and data pipelines for a tremendous amount of data, and analyze large scale data for the practical scenarios of autonomous driving. Last but not least, you will deploy your algorithms and systems to explore the meaningful scenarios in our data sea and beyond. Responsibilities and required qualifications are as follows:
- Address large scale challenges in the machine learning development cycle, especially around cloud and data engineering.
- Manipulate high-volume, high-dimensionality, structured data from driving logs for training and testing deep networks.
- Build a robust data platform that enables ML practitioners to build and maintain their own data pipelines and datasets.
- Stay up to date on the state-of-the-art in Deep Learning ideas and software, in collaboration with other divisions in the company.
- Solve challenging problems with cutting edge design and algorithms.
- Work in a multidisciplinary team and collaborate with other teams across the company.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics or related field with at least 4-5 years of experience; Masters with at least 2 years of experience; PhD with at least 1 year of experience
- Strong software engineering practices with machine learning experience in a production setting.
- Clear grasp on basic Linear Algebra, Optimization, Statistics, and Algorithms.
- Experience with pipeline orchestration tooling (e.g. Airflow, AWS Step Function, Metaflow, KubeFlow, etc).
- Proficient in Python, SQL and Git.
- Experience with AWS, Azure or GCP.
Nice to have:
- Experience with data analysis, data munging and relative machine learning skills.
- Experience with building end-to-end ML workflows (Data Mining → Data Preparation → Modeling)
- Strong knowledge of ML dataset management (data + annotations) and exposure to dataset versioning tools such as DVC.
- Experience with ML data annotation pipeline, RESTful APIs, Apache Spark.
- Exposure to perception, prediction, and/or planning stacks for robotics/AVs.
- Experience in AV or Automotive industry
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.