Research Scientist - Mobile Manipulation, Perception
Los Altos, CA /
Robotics – Mobile Manipulation /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re on a mission to improve the quality of human life. We’re developing new tools and capabilities to amplify the human experience. To lead this transformative shift in mobility, we’ve built a world-class team in human-centric AI, energy and materials, machine learning, and robotics.
TRI is assembling an outstanding team to develop and integrate innovative solutions that enable a robot to perform sophisticated, human-level mobile manipulation tasks, navigate with and among people, and learn and adapt over time. The team will develop, deploy, and validate systems in real-world environments, in and around homes.
The team will be passionate about heavily using machine learning to marry perception, prediction, and action to produce robust, reactive, coordinated robot behaviors, bootstrapping from simulation, using large amounts of data, and adapting in real-world scenarios.
TRI has the runway, roadmap, and expertise to transition the technology development to a product that impacts the lives of millions of people. Apply to join a fast-paced team that demands high-risk innovation and learning from failures, using thorough processes to identify key technologies, develop a robust, high-quality system, and quantitatively evaluate performance. As part of the team, you will be surrounded and supported by the significant core ML, cloud, software, and hardware expertise at TRI, and be a part of TRI's positive and diverse culture.
- Develop, integrate, and deploy algorithms linking perception to autonomous robot actions, including manipulation, navigation, and human-robot interaction.
- Invent and deploy innovative solutions at the intersection of machine learning, computer vision, multi-sensor perception, and simulation for understanding human environments and humans, in and around homes.
- Invent novel ways to build, label, and use large, possibly distributed datasets, using self-supervision, active learning, simulation, and real-world adaptation.
- Be part of a team that fields systems, performs failure analysis, and iterates on improving performance and capabilities.
- Follow software practices that produce maintainable code, including automated testing, continuous integration, code style conformity, and code review.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in an engineering-related field.
- A strong background in inventing and deploying innovative perception algorithms to robotic systems in real-world environments.
- Experience in areas such as object detection, classification, segmentation, and tracking, sensor fusion, state estimation, local 3D mapping and reconstruction, person detection, and human pose estimation.
- Experience in applying deep learning to perception problems.
- Strong software engineering skills, preferably in C++, and analysis and debugging of robotic perception algorithms.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and a willingness to learn from others and supply back to the robotics community with publications or open-source code.
- Passionate about seeing robotics have an impact.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.
TRI is committed to the safety of our workforce and community. Thereby, we require COVID-19 vaccinations, including boosters, for all employees and applicants. Applicants are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Any offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, vaccination status against COVID-19. TRI provides reasonable accommodations to our COVID-19 vaccination policy in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.