Machine Learning Research Scientist - Natural Language Processing
Los Altos, CA
Machine Learning – Machine Learning /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re on a mission to improve the quality of human life. We’re developing new tools and capabilities to amplify the human experience. To lead this transformative shift in mobility, we’ve built a world-class team in Robotics, Human-Centered AI, Human Interactive Driving, and Energy & Materials.
Our Machine Learning (ML) team is looking for Research Scientists with a focus on Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision and Multi-Modal Foundation Models. We are aspiring to make progress on some of the hardest scientific challenges around the safe and effective usage of large robotic fleets, simulation, and prior knowledge (physics, domain knowledge, behavioral science), not only for automation but also for human augmentation.
As a Research Scientist, you will work with a multidisciplinary team proposing, conducting, and transferring pioneering research in Machine Learning. You will use large amounts of sensory data and simulation to solve open problems, publish at top academic venues, and test your ideas in the real world (including on our robots (https://www.tri.global/news/virtual-robotics-event/) of course!). You will also work closely with other teams at TRI to transfer and ship our most successful algorithms and models towards world-scale long-term autonomy and sophisticated assistance systems. Responsibilities and required qualifications are as follows:
- Conduct daring research primarily in Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision, Planning, Dialog, and Robotics that solves open problems of high practical and/or ethical value and validate it in real-world benchmarks and systems.
- Push the boundaries of knowledge and the state of the art in areas including language and vision for robotics.
- Partner with a multidisciplinary team including other research scientists and engineers across the ML team, TRI, Toyota, and our university partners.
- Stay up to date on the state-of-the-art in Machine Learning ideas.
- Present results in verbal and written communications, internally, at top international venues, and via open-source contributions to the community.
- Lead collaborations with our external research partners (e.g., Stanford, Berkeley, MIT) and mentor research interns.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering). Ph.D. in Machine Learning, Robotics, Control Theory, Computer Vision, or related fields preferred.
- Expertise in at least one key ML area.
- Consistent track record of publishing at high-impact conferences/journals (e.g., CoRL, ICLR, NeurIPS, ICML, UAI, RSS, ICRA, COLT, CDC, L4DC, CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, PAMI, IJCV, etc.) on some of the aforementioned topics.
- Proficiency with one or more coding languages and systems, preferably python, Unix, and a DL framework (e.g., PyTorch).
- Can identify, propose, and lead new research projects, working in collaboration with other researchers and engineers to complete it from initial idea to working solution.
- Passionate about ML research.
- A reliable teammate who loves to think big, go deeper and delivers with integrity.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $151,800 and $210,000/year for California-based roles; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Note that TRI offers a generous benefits package (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave) and an annual cash bonus structure. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people with unique backgrounds, education and life experiences. We are dedicated to fostering an innovative and collaborative environment by living the values that are an essential part of our culture. We believe diversity makes us stronger and are proud to provide Equal Employment Opportunity for all, without regard to an applicant’s race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.