Senior Data and ML Infrastructure Engineer
Los Altos, CA /
Core Engineering – Data Engineering /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
- Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
- Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
- Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
- Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
- Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. Come work with TRI if you’re interested in transforming mobility through designing technology for safer cars, enabling the elderly to age in place, or designing alternative fuel sources. Start your impossible with us.
We are looking for a collaborative and versatile Senior Data and ML Engineer to be an integral part of our fast-paced, agile development team. As a Data and ML infrastructure engineer, you will work closely with the machine learning, ground truth enrichment (or “annotation”) operations, data and cloud infrastructure teams to understand the challenges these teams face in achieving their engineering goals, and to turn this understanding into an actionable plan of work to build world-class machine learning infrastructure.
- Be a key engineer contributing to the design, development and operation of our Data and Machine Learning infrastructure
- Partner and work with Data, Infrastructure Engineering, and Machine Learning (ML) engineers along other technical staff to understand ML infrastructure and data enrichment challenges while creating solutions that are timely, automatable, and scalable.
- Understand and work to align with our internal customers roadmaps at TRI especially the machine learning engineering roadmap
- Analyze and support requirements from machine learning teams
- Partner with our annotation ops team to streamline, automate and scale solutions
- Make recommendations on architecture, whether to build or integrate existing tools,
- Work with teams to build a backlog of epics and stories to implement machine learning infrastructure
- Stay up-to-date with the latest industry standard tools and technologies in this technical area
- Design and implement solutions at fast pace while writing observable automation using best practices to minimize human operations
- 4+ years of professional experience building software on cloud platforms (such as AWS) in python, go or a similar language
- 2+ years of professional experience enabling developers by building tools, APIs or frameworks
- An understanding of how modern machine learning works, and the types of tools and infrastructure required to support ML operations and engineers
- Experience integrating automated systems with third-party APIs
- Experience with modern databases (cassandra, postgres, or similar) and data transformation (spark, kafka, or similar)
- Experience with basic data analysis (pandas or similar)
- Experience with developing production systems in linux and linux-hosted containerization
- Experience with continuous integration practices (separating production services) and observability
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.