Los Altos, CA /
Venture Capital – Toyota AI Ventures /
Founded in 2017, Toyota AI Ventures is a Silicon Valley-based venture capital firm that invests in early-stage startups around the world in areas such as AI, autonomy, materials, mobility, robotics, smart cities, and industrial automation and logistics. Our mission is to discover what’s next for Toyota by helping startups bring ground-breaking technologies and business models to market quickly. With more than $200M under management, we’ve invested in over 35 companies, including Bipi, Blackmore, Carbice, Intuition Robotics, Joby Aviation, May Mobility, Revel, SLAMcore, and Ziva Dynamics.
We are looking for an Associate or Principal with at least five years of previous VC experience to join our growing team. Along with a degree in a relevant field, you’ll need a strong understanding of deep tech, ideally with expertise in one of our thesis areas. The role also requires excellent communication skills, an understanding of industry trends, and a knack for spotting the early-stage startups that are defining those trends.
The ideal candidate will be a natural networker who is already plugged into the startup ecosystem and is familiar with leading entrepreneurs and investors and has experience creating caps tables, digesting financial statements, and preparing investment memos. We also value diversity and believe in “keeping it weird.” If that sounds like a good fit, and you’re passionate about finding and funding innovative companies, we look forward to hearing from you!
- Network and take part in industry and VC events, organizations
- Analyze the latest industry trends
- Source and screen potential target companies
- Participate in due diligence, market analyses, and industry deep dives
- Prepare investment memos and present potential investments to the Investment Committee
- Manage deal negotiations and closings
- Support portfolio companies in fundraising, recruiting, sales, etc.
- At least two to five years of previous VC experience. Startup operating experience a plus.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Business Administration or relevant field; Master’s degree preferred
- Entrepreneurial and well-networked
- Insatiable curiosity about new technologies and businesses that bring them to market
- Analytical proficiency in Google Docs or Excel
- Strong communications and research skills
- Team player
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.