Los Altos, CA; Ann Arbor, MI /
Automated Driving – Planning & Control /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re building a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
- Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
- Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
- Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
- Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
- Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies.
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals.
About the Planning & Control Team
In TRI's Automated Driving group, the Motion Planning and Control team is developing the core algorithms for safe and robust navigation of complex and uncertain real-world environments, with applications to both fully autonomous vehicles (our Level-4 Chauffeur project) and advanced driver safety systems (our Guardian project). On the Guardian project, we aim to apply autonomous driving technologies using a driver-centric approach to meaningfully improve the driving experience and road safety. We are looking for an extraordinary, probabilistic-robotics researcher who can develop and apply state-of-the-art algorithms in decision-making under uncertainty, motion planning, and envelope control. We are seeking a passionate individual who enjoys working with other Automated Driving teammates to develop world leading capabilities and apply the results of their R&D efforts improving the lives of millions.
- Manage team to develop, deploy and evaluate state of the art algorithms in agent behavior prediction.
- Provide technical guidance to the team in the approaches explored as well as the integration with the other decision making and planning components.
- Closely work together with perception and motion planning engineers and research scientists to understand needs and develop integrated solutions.
- Maintain and improve the interplay between perception, prediction, and planning to achieve robust and human-like AV behavior.
- Design reusable software components as part of an integrated system.
- Understand and fulfill the software practices that produce maintainable code, including automated testing, continuous integration, and code review.
- Recruit additional talent to continue to build out the team and effort.
- Master's degree or greater in Robotics, Computer Science or equivalent, with 5+years of experience in a related position.
- Strong leadership background and highly proficient in agile development practices
- Proven communication skills with the ability to influence team members across the organization
- Well-versed in the automotive industry, having demonstrated technical experience in embedded software, computer hardware, automated driving systems, public cloud, and simulation
- Exemplifies solid leadership skills in people management including remote staff management, program execution, team-building practices, and customer relationship management; has the proven track record to build bridges with all other parts of the business, while successfully managing both upwards and downwards
- Superior expertise in defining and leading complex system architectures, understanding API design, and ensuring timely and cost effective completion.
- Strength operating in a deeply technical, product focused environment.
- We expect our leaders to be technical and have a deep understanding of our codebase (C++ and Python) and development practices.
- 3+ years working as a software engineering leader.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.