Internal Communications Manager
Los Altos, CA /
Admin-Ops – General Administration /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
- Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
- Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
- Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
- Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
- Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. Come work with TRI if you’re interested in transforming mobility through designing technology for safer cars, enabling the elderly to age in place, or designing alternative fuel sources. Start your impossible with us.
Are you a great writer and storyteller? Passionate about employee culture, sparking engagement, and helping make a difference in the world? Our team is growing!
The Internal Communications Manager at TRI will develop and drive dynamic and strategic internal communications campaigns that communicate the value of our research across the global Toyota organization. Your work will drive increased employee awareness, top talent recruitment, and ongoing engagement among TRI employees.
We’re looking for a thoughtful communicator who thrives on making the run-the-business work of internal communications smart, fun, and engaging. Do you have creative ideas about grabbing the attention of busy employees and delivering high-value HR, IT, and Operations updates in an innovative and effective way? If so, we want to meet you.
We are looking for an equal parts problem solver and doer who is energized by working with complementary teams, in areas of cutting edge research to create memorable employee campaign experiences and communications.
Success in this role is grounded in the ability to keep your finger on the pulse of what’s happening, connect dots across the organization, and create interest and enthusiasm around ongoing projects, events, and campaigns. You stay focused and flexible in a complex and ambiguous environment and are not easily deterred by change.
- Co-develop strategy and own delivery of all internal and employee communications.
- Develop and write memorable, engaging cross-channel communications and employee experiences that inform, engage, and inspire TRI (e.g., All Hands, Open Houses, intranet content, videos, newsletters, blog posts, web pages, email campaigns, social channels, digital screens, etc.)
- Identify where internal communications can most support TRI’s strategy, mission, and vision, and develop biannual plans and campaigns
- Create communications on TRI’s initiatives and industry news that live on a variety of internal communications media, while advising on the best medium for the job
- Measure the effectiveness of communications messages and channels on an ongoing basis and make recommendations on how to improve
- Work cross-functionally with Comms, Recruiting, HR, Research, and D&I teams
- Partner with Toyota communications teams globally to understand and demonstrate key programs while simultaneously creating and executing compelling TRI communications that effectively deliver our message to that same community.
- Create presentations in Google Slides that meet our creative goals, brand standards, and style guidelines.
- Track results and apply key findings to improve future comms, content, and engagement
- Report out and gain alignment and approval for our programs from our partners across Toyota
- 8+ years in communications or related subject area
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a related field
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with a focus on strong storytelling and creative narrative development.
- Consistent track record developing and executing compelling, creative internal comms plans and programs with a broad arsenal of communication tools in your toolbox.
- Deliver complex data and insights in an easy-to-digest visual format that meets our brand standards and style guidelines
- Ability to quickly grasp information across a variety of fields and subsequently develop clear communications with minimal guidance
- Confidence and ability to effectively lead, manage and execute multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced, often ambiguous, and constantly evolving environment
- Track engagement metrics to identify key takeaways that will help improve future programs and communications
- Ability to work cross-functionally and exert influence without the necessary authority
- Energized by a fast-paced, highly collaborative team
- Demonstrate a consistently high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience designing and producing town hall/ all-hands type of events
- Experience with developing employee retention and engagement programs, DEI initiatives, and programs
- Proven success playing a consultative role with a variety of partners, in a fast-paced and ambiguous environment
- Act as front-line point of contact for company-wide ad-hoc requests
- No objection to rolling up your sleeves. You’ll be part of a small but mighty Communications Team and no task can be too big or too small
- Experience with international, Fortune 100 or highly regarded research organization preferred
- Experience working in technology or other fast-paced environments
- Experience with content marketing
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a related field
- Experience supporting general HR, IT, Operations, and other business communications
- Experience working directly with executives
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience with Microsoft Suite of Services, Google Suite of Services and accustomed to learning new technologies and tools
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.