Senior Research Scientist - Deep Learning, Perception
Los Altos, CA /
Automated Driving – Object Perception /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
- Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
- Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
- Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
- Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
- Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. Come work with TRI if you’re interested in transforming mobility through designing technology for safer cars, enabling the elderly to age in place, or designing alternative fuel sources. Start your impossible with us.
- Research, design, and develop new deep learning algorithms
- Be a leader in high level algorithm decisions to ensure fast and accurate development cycles.
- Implement and maintain cutting edge deep learning algorithms in object classification, object detection, video understanding, labeling, clustering, segmentation, data association, tracking and prediction
- Build robust, reliable systems to handle common and long tail problems
- Embrace self-supervised learning strategies to overcome ever so growing data needs.
- As an applied researcher your goal should be to deploy your work onto our test vehicles.
- Develop systems that can run in tightly controlled real-time loops.
- Collaborate with other perception engineers and scientists to develop perception algorithms, systems, and tools for autonomous driving systems.
- Support the development of large data sets and data pipelines for system training and evaluation.
- Stay up to date on the state-of-the-art in deep learning ideas and algorithms.
- PhD or MS in CS/CE/EE, or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of professional experience in related position
- Extensive experience with ML frameworks such as PyTorch
- Experience with machine learning and classification, tracking or prediction
- Experience in robotics, AI, tracking, prediction or computer vision applied to autonomous driving.
- Proficiency in linear algebra, probability, statistics, and differential equations
- Strong grasp of current ML techniques, especially deep learning for perception, tracking or prediction algorithms.
- Strong communication skills. Team player.
- Strong C++ software development skills.
- Proficient in Python and Unix is a minimum. Additional knowledge of C++ / CUDA is a plus
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.