Director of Data Engineering and Infrastructure Engineering
Los Altos, CA /
Core Engineering – Data Engineering /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
- Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
- Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
- Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
- Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
- Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. Come work with TRI if you’re interested in transforming mobility through designing technology for safer cars, enabling the elderly to age in place, or designing alternative fuel sources. Start your impossible with us.
In TRI’s Core Engineering Division, the Data Engineering and Infrastructure Engineering teams develop data platforms, applications, data lakes, pipelines, AWS infrastructure, and support that are maximized across TRI with the most focus on our research divisions. We are looking for an experienced data engineering leader to join our team who is passionate about developing and deploying this technology to improve the lives of millions. The leader of data engineering and infrastructure engineering teams will oversee our bespoke solutions and services to achieve our goals of human amplification through Active Safety, Automated Driving, Robotics, Materials Design, and Machine Assisted Cognition.
- Proactively drive the vision for our data and infrastructure engineering platform, pipelines, AWS support, and service offerings for our internal customers.
- Set challenging, measurable, and relevant goals to drive progress toward project and company goals.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to managers and individual contributors on the high-quality data engineering and infrastructure engineering teams.
- Manage data platforms, pipelines, and solutions while balancing the need for state-of-the-art new features and supporting our foundational data systems
- Collaborate within the Division and with our customers to build and manage the delivery solutions, tools, dashboards and data visualizations.
- Set the architectural direction of the team to build highly scalable data pipelines.
- Define and manage SLA’s for all Data Engineering and Infrastructure engineering solutions and offerings.
- Foster an environment that analyzes COTS vs bespoke solutions to make the best decision for our unique research requirements.
- Develop strong relationships with key customers in other divisions: perception, planning and control, machine learning, technical and annotation operations, robotics, and more
- Retain and attract diverse talent that can push our technical boundaries.
- Lead a diverse team with varied strengths with openness and fairness so that each employee is empowered to produce his or her best work within an inclusive environment.
- Lead and motivate exceptional individuals while balancing technology and business objectives.
- Deep passion for the potential of automated driving and robotics to transform human life and amplify humans.
- Strong leadership background and highly proficient in agile development practices
- Exemplifies solid leadership skills in people management including remote staff management, program execution, team-building practices, and customer relationship management; has the proven ability to build bridges with all other parts of the business internally (TRI) and externally (Toyota) while successfully managing both upwards and outwards
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for data. You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior expertise in…
- Data Platforms, BI, Data Visualization
- Defining and managing complex system architectures, understanding API design, and ensuring timely and cost-effective completion.
- Communication skills necessary to encourage employees, enroll multi-functional teams, engage senior leadership, and deliver results.
- Vendor management especially in the 3rd party cloud computing space.
- Well-versed in the Cloud/Infrastructure industry, having proven technical experience in software, data science, data engineering, and 3rd party cloud computing systems.
- Successful track record of leading engineering teams from ideation to concept development.
- Strong business acumen, and interest in contributing to roadmaps and strategy discussions.
- We expect our leaders to be technical and have a deep understanding of our codebase (C++ and Python) and development practices
- 10+ years working as a software/data engineering leader
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.