Technical Program Manager, Automated Driving
Los Altos, CA; Ann Arbor, MI /
Automated Driving – Automated Driving Programs /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
- Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
- Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
- Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
- Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
- Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. Come work with TRI if you’re interested in transforming mobility through designing technology for safer cars, enabling the elderly to age in place, or designing alternative fuel sources. Start your impossible with us.
We’re seeking experienced technical program managers (TPMs) passionate about developing and deploying technology that will improve the safety, accessibility, convenience, and efficiency of mobility solutions affecting millions of consumers. The TPM works alongside experienced technical leaders across over a dozen specialized engineering sub-teams. The role ensures overall coordination and delivery of individual subsystems and a fully integrated system. This includes synthesizing software and hardware integration project schedules, identifying/mitigating risks, and clearly communicating goals and status to project partners. The project spans numerous Toyota offices and time zones. Part of the job keeps all partners coordinated on project progress/timeline spanning numerous Toyota offices/time zones.
This position reports to TRI’s Manager of the Project Management Office. Some domestic travel required (<20%) with potential for occasional international travel (1-2x per year).
- Handle multiple projects within a multi-functional program to deliver capabilities and/or infrastructure to support automated driving objectives.
- Organize, nurture, and drive engineering teams to define software architecture, software design, develop, test and deploy in-car passenger user experience and automated driving capability.
- Set, track and report status against scope, schedule, test plan and achievement objectives with members of the project team and broader organization/stakeholders.
- Identify, manage, track and communicate risks, opportunities, issues and changes to maintain project objectives and success.
- Facilitate inter-team collaboration, performance, and productivity through transparent communication of requirements, dependencies, and skills.
- Produce and deliver executive-level presentations to successfully drive projects through review gates.
- Lead delivery and consensus on technical decisions across teams (Engineering, Cloud, Simulation, Continuous Integration & DevOps, etc.) ensuring proper software engineering practices delivering high quality, safety-critical releases.
- Support a Scrum-based, Agile development approach for projects and/or sub-teams, including managing user-stories and backlogs, and/or coordinating sprint ceremonies (planning, demos, and retrospectives).
- Coordinate across program / product managers, systems engineers, SW/HW engineers, researchers, suppliers, members of other Toyota divisions, and TRI’s executive team ensuring clear communication and efficient workflow.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in engineering or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of aligned industry experience in managing multiple software development projects / programs concurrently.
- 3+ years of experience as TPM, engineer, or engineering manager in Advanced Driver-Assistance Systems (ADAS), automated driving systems, perception, high-definition mapping, machine learning, and/or robotics systems.
- Ability to dive into technical details to coordinate planning and progress with individual contributors, technical leaders, and partners.
- Experienced in Scrum-based Agile development including, but not limited to, managing user-stories, backlogs, sprint planning, retrospectives and possibly fulfilling the role of a ScrumMaster / Product Owner.
- Comfortable engaging, presenting to and influencing company leaders ranging from individual contributors to executive-level leaders.
- Excellent written / verbal communication skills, attention to detail, interpersonal skills and demonstrable success leading engineers.
- Experience influencing without authority, i.e., working with multi-functional teams to get things done via individuals reporting elsewhere.
- Thrives in ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in fast-changing environment.
- Experience with Google’s G-Suite, Jira, Confluence, Slack, and video-conferencing tools.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.