Software Engineer - Software Tools
Los Altos, CA /
Automated Driving – Driving Simulation /
At Toyota Research Institute (TRI), we’re working to build a future where everyone has the freedom to move, engage, and explore with a focus on reducing vehicle collisions, injuries, and fatalities. Join us in our mission to improve the quality of human life through advances in artificial intelligence, automated driving, robotics, and materials science. We’re dedicated to building a world of “mobility for all” where everyone, regardless of age or ability, can live in harmony with technology to enjoy a better life. Through innovations in AI, we’ll help…
- Develop vehicles incapable of causing a crash, regardless of the actions of the driver.
- Develop technology for vehicles and robots to help people enjoy new levels of independence, access, and mobility.
- Bring advanced mobility technology to market faster.
- Discover new materials that will make batteries and hydrogen fuel cells smaller, lighter, less expensive and more powerful.
- Develop human-centered AI systems to augment (not replace) human decision making to increase the quality of decisions (e.g. mitigate cognitive biases) and/or to facilitate faster innovation cycles.
Our work is guided by a dedication to safety – in both what we research and how we perform our research our goal is to benefit society. As a subsidiary of Toyota, TRI is fueled by a diverse and inclusive community of people who carry invaluable leadership, experience, and ideas from industry-leading companies. Over half of our technical team carries PhD degrees. We’re continually searching for the world’s best talent ‒ people who are ready to define the new world of mobility with us!
We strive to build a company that helps our people thrive, achieve work-life balance, and bring their best selves to work. At TRI, you will have the opportunity to enjoy the best of both worlds ‒ a fun environment with forward-thinking people who enjoy solving tough problems and the financial backing to successfully achieve our goals. Come work with TRI if you’re interested in transforming mobility through designing technology for safer cars, enabling the elderly to age in place, or designing alternative fuel sources. Start your impossible with us.
TRI's Driving Simulation team is developing software tools, algorithms and systems to model sensors and simulate 3D environments and agent behaviors. We apply them to accelerate the development and testing of fully autonomous vehicles and advanced safety systems. These projects develop and apply cutting edge technique from the field of computer graphic, artificial intelligence, computer vision and robotics. We are looking for exceptional software engineers who are passionate both deploying systems to improve the lives of millions
- You will be part of a nimble team of software developers building various tools to facilitate/accelerate research and development activities at TRI.
- You will work closely with TRI teams (i.e. internal customers) to understand their requirements, design/implement solutions, and maintain/improve your work based on feedback.
- You will interact with other Toyota companies, such as TRI-AD and TMC, to co-build Toyota’s internal software and tooling ecosystem.
- Strong self-motivation and pursuit of excellence/best practices.
- Strong communication skills. Great Teammate. Good Listener.
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities and direction in a fast-paced, dynamic research environment.
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong programming skills in C++ and Python.
- Experience with cloud computing such as AWS and/or other clouds.
- Experience with infrastructure/deployments such as CI/CD (Jenkins) and data processing pipelines.
- Experience with data analytics and visualization tools such as Streamlit.
- B.S. or M.S. in computer science or related field with 3-5 years experience.
- Prior experience in automated driving, robotics and/or simulation a plus.
- Prior experience with embedded/real-time system programming a plus.
- Knowledge of computer graphics and video processing a plus.
- Knowledge of machine learning and artificial intelligence a plus.
Please reference this Candidate Privacy Notice to inform you of the categories of personal information that we collect from individuals who inquire about and/or apply to work for Toyota Research Institute, Inc. or its subsidiaries, including Toyota A.I. Ventures GP, L.P., and the purposes for which we use such personal information.
TRI provides Equal Employment Opportunity without regard to the applicant's race, color, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, religion, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local laws.