Staff Software Engineer (Full Stack)
San Francisco or Remote /
At Trunk, our mission is to help teams create high-quality software quickly. Merge conflicts, poor code quality or consistency, flaky tests, and dozens of other distractions quickly drain the productivity and morale of those teams. Engineering teams that can stay focused on designing, implementing, and delivering software will build magical, high-quality projects - and they will be happier doing it. We're building the tools that empower teams to land code faster and develop happier.
We are building the foundation for a modern software engineering team. Our founders started this journey in 2021 and have designed, delivered, and scaled software at some of the world's largest and fastest-growing tech companies - Uber, Google, YouTube, and Microsoft. We're building a game-changing company, and we hope you are excited to be a part of that audacious goal.
Software has eaten the world; almost every company produces software in some form or fashion, so our addressable market is virtually every company on earth. We're going after every engineering team on the planet - we're starting with smaller teams, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of companies out there for us to empower and maybe only a handful (Google, Facebook, Amazon), that are outside our scope. We are building the DevEx platform to empower the world.
In 2022, we raised a $25M Series A led by Initialized Capital (Garry Tan) and a16z (Peter Levine), with investments from Haystack Ventures, Garage VC, Tom Preston Warner (Founder/CEO of GitHub), Geoff Schmidt (Founder/CEO Apollo GraphQL), Nicolas Dessaigne (Founder/CEO Algolia), and Oleg Rognysky (Founder/CEO Peopl.ai).
What you'll do 🧑💻
- Build new user-facing features with beautiful and scalable UI components
- Work closely with founders and design to implement new feature concepts
- Build new APIs and data pipelines with gRPC and Node
- Add analytics, monitoring, and alerts to our service so that we can better respond to operational incidents
We're looking for 🔎
- 8-10+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills, and the tenacity to drive a solution to a conclusion
- Experience and intuition to zero in on root causes for bugs that can leave others stumped
- The ability to operate independently, but know when you are in too deep and need to ask for help
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues to plan and execute the best solution
- Production experience with React frontend and CSS-in-JS, utilizing hooks for the composability of functionality
- Production experience designing and implementing APIs, data models, and data pipelines
- Production experience with relational databases
Our tech stack 💻
- Frontend: Typescript, React, Next.js
- Backend: Typescript, Node, AWS, CDK, k8s, gRPC
- Observability: Prometheus, Grafana, Kiali, Jaeger
- CLI/Daemon/LSP: C++20, Bazel, a bit of Rust
- VSCode Extension: Typescript
- CI/CD: GitHub Actions
- General: GitHub, Slack, Linear, Slite
What we offer 🎁
- Unlimited PTO
- Competitive salary and equity
- Work-life balance
- Flexibility to be fully or partly remote
- Few meetings, so you can ship fast and focus on building
- Top-notch medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, and life insurance
- All insurance is 100% company-paid ($0 premiums) for employees and highly subsidized for dependants
- FSA, HSA with company contributions, and pre-tax commuter benefits
- 401(k) plan
- Paid parental leave ( up to 12 weeks)
The salary and equity range for this role are: $180K - $240K and .2% - .5%.
Don’t meet every single requirement? At Trunk, we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, we're happy to help accommodate. Please contact us at email@example.com.