Truss is helping the government redefine how it builds software and infrastructure using modern development practices common in Silicon Valley.
We hire capable engineers to work on small, imbedded teams and expect you to be able to learn additional required skills/tools as you go. You will employ user-centered practices to help revolutionize the way services, depended on by millions of Americans, are designed, implemented, and delivered. You care deeply about working on technology that affects people’s lives, and are passionate about building large-scale systems that are well-designed, fast, scalable, and secure.
We are seeking driven, curious, and quick-learning Engineers to join our team. We are looking both for experienced technologists willing to lead and mentor on our projects. A position with Truss will allow you to develop a rich skill-set working in an energetic yet balanced environment with a team of curious, helpful people.
Here's what we hope you'll bring:
- Great communication! Including thoughtful listening skills, the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to communicate well in writing
- The ability to deal well with ambiguity and act with autonomy
- 2+ years of industry coding/infrastructure experience
- Technology-agnostic and pragmatic engineering sensibility, focused on solving key problems, not the tools
- A thoughtful, process-oriented approach to development and engineering, such as debugging or object oriented design, and agile software development
- A willingness to implement and encourage DevOps practices
- A demonstrated ability to understand automated testing concepts and ability to consistently apply those concepts
- Knowledge of database fundamentals for large scale, analysis-heavy databases
- Familiarity with web frameworks such as Rails, Django, jQuery, Flask, etc.
- Initiative, curiosity, a bias for action, and a problem-solving attitude
- Experience deploying at least one application that other people use
- A deep desire to learn
- High personal standards of reliability
In this position you will:
- Deliver timely, high quality solutions to specific engineering problems
- Create automated tests or be willing to learn to do so
- Mentor and cross-train with other engineers via design discussions and code reviews
- Architect new systems and changes to existing systems to support new functionality
- Make & drive technical decisions to completion
- Evaluate and select tools to meet project needs without creating unnecessary technical debt
Truss is a software consultancy known for pragmatism, autonomy, expertise, and trust. We build strong relationships with our clients, contractors and employees and we believe that this is fundamental to doing great work. As a Truss engineer you will facilitate bringing these values to those truly trying to make a difference in our government and enable them to understand what their citizens actually need rather than implementing a perceived solution.
If you have more experience than is reflected here, that’s great! We’ll be pleased to exercise your broader/deeper skill set. We value inclusion and welcome diverse viewpoints. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!