Staff Engineer/Project Lead
Anywhere in the US
Truss is tackling tough technical problems for the private sector and government. We practice and advocate modern development practices to build software and streamline infrastructure.
Truss is a software consultancy known for pragmatism, autonomy, expertise, and trust. We build strong relationships with our clients, contractors and employees and we believe that this is fundamental to doing great work. As a Truss engineer you will facilitate bringing our values to our clients and help drive toward understanding what their end users truly need.
We are seeking engineering leaders to have a significant impact on the services offered by the government to US citizens. This positions is for engineers leveled 4-5 as match our leveling guide. A position with Truss will allow you to continuously enrich your skill-set working in an energetic yet balanced environment with a team of curious, helpful people.
Here's what we hope you'll bring:
- Architectural sense including the ability to make judgements regarding trade-offs at the systems level, and the ability to seek non-obvious, more efficient alternatives
- Great communication, including thoughtful listening skills, the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to communicate well in writing
- A thoughtful, process-oriented approach to development and engineering, such as debugging or object oriented design, and agile software development
- A desire to seek differing opinions and ask for help
- 8+ years of industry coding/infrastructure experience
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Technology-agnostic and pragmatic engineering sensibility, focused on solving key problems, not the tools
- Initiative with a bias for action
- Experience with AWS
- Proficiency in at least two commonly used modern programming languages and their associated ecosystems
In this position you will:
- Advocate for and implement engineering best practices including CI/CD, Infrastructure as Code, etc.
- Facilitate healthy and productive communication within the team, and with stakeholders
- Mentor and cross-train with other engineers via design discussions and code reviews
- Architect new systems and changes to existing systems to support new functionality
- Make & drive technical decisions to completion
- Evaluate and select tools to meet project needs without creating unnecessary technical debt
- Run an effective engineering work planning process, working with product stakeholders
If you have more experience than is reflected here, that’s great! We’ll be pleased to exercise your broader/deeper skill set. We value inclusion and welcome diverse viewpoints. You must be eligible to work in the US and reside in the US. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time. We encourage all interested candidates to apply!