Product Manager, Growth
Remote - USA /
Who we are
Trust & Will is making estate planning and probate simple, affordable, & accessible with a design-first approach and amazing customer support. Since launching in 2017, we have helped hundreds of thousands of families plan for and execute estate plans through our complete suite of products nationwide. We’re backed by some of the leading names in venture capital who all believe in our mission to help every family leave their legacy.
We are a fully remote, distributed team that collaborates tightly, asks hard questions, ships quickly, and has fun while we do it. Our team cares deeply about crafting the highest quality experiences, and each team member has a profound impact on the vision and direction of what we deliver.
We're looking for someone who is excited about what we're doing—you don't need to know anything about estate planning or probate, but should be excited to learn. We're rethinking an antiquated space, which makes it ripe for innovation, so you'll be able to use creativity to help us solve problems and delight our members.
As a growth product manager, you will impact some of our most important business metrics–registration and purchase conversion rates–and some of our most important first impressions with our users–onboarding–shaping how they understand and prioritize their estate planning goals. Working as a leader alongside our functional teams, you will help a nimble and fast-moving company impact millions of lives.
Product managers come in many shapes and sizes, but at Trust & Will, we define them as being equal parts product shaper and project manager. You will be expected to transition between these activities fluidly based on the stage of the projects you’re leading. This role will also require you to be sufficiently technical (we don’t have program managers), at the very least to understand the general lifecycle of what it means to build and ship quality code.
This role will rely heavily on a PM who is strong at iteratively shaping the product, shipping the product, and synchronizing the people.
Shaping the product
- Harness insights from customers, stakeholders, and data to prioritize and build a product that will have the most impact on the business.
- Talk directly with members to learn more about how they interact with Trust & Will from first intercept, conversion, and their experience of sharing their experience with others. Crystalize learnings into problems and opportunities.
- Work with marketing and design counterparts to envision, build, and test possible solutions with actual members. We value experimentation and exploration, staying as lean as possible during early cycles as a means to learn as quickly as possible.
- Work with engineering counterparts to estimate implementation costs, discuss alternative approaches, and make sure everyone is aware of the cost (and opportunity!) of introducing something new to the member base.
- Be a leader in advocating for the member above all else, constantly iterating and pushing the envelope to create amazing work.
- Monitor, optimize, and create tests that validate opportunities to improve our initial conversion rates in collaboration with marketing and partnership strategies utilizing testing tools like Google Optimize and our BI tools (GA4, Heap, and Thoughtspot).
Shipping the product
- Ship high-quality product on time and free of surprises.
- Write product briefs to communicate why we’re choosing to solve this particular problem, and tie it back to the emotional discovery uncovered while shaping the product. You should be able to galvanize the team and get them excited.
- Understand how software is built, and be able to ladder into new things in a crawl-walk-run fashion. We value iteration and shipping velocity during the building phase.
- Communicate with teammates in support, marketing, partnerships, and data, to get supporting documentation, launch comms, and analytics hooks embedded as part of the building phase.
- Monitor and validate the release of product improvements ensuring the continued success of the released features and stakeholder dependencies (reporting, marketing triggers, etc).
- Bonus points if you have an experience with machine learning (lead scoring, personalization, etc) and experience with AI Chat for increased capacity for customer feedback
Synchronize the people
- Align all stakeholders around one vision, strategy, goal, roadmap, and timeline to avoid wasted time and effort.
- Report on project status, resourcing needs, timelines of near term launches. Communicate with senior team leaders to get additional help or buy-in as necessary.
- Translate initial hypotheses into learnings, member patterns, and actionable next steps after our member base starts to use the thing we built.
- Advocate for where we should be spending our time. This is where you should shine, balancing each opportunity against the others for the engineering time we have available.
Why you might be excited about us:
- It’s our mission to help every family leave their legacy through affordable, accessible estate planning. That starts with the people we hire and the ways in which we support the development of their unique talents and capabilities. We are committed to prioritizing ways to make our company and industry more inclusive. This means we must be revolutionary in the way we value diversity in order to revolutionize our business sector. At Trust & Will, everyone has a seat at the table and space to be their authentic selves because only in a company that is inclusive and diverse can we truly stand in our members’ shoes.
- Two out of every three Americans don’t have an estate plan in place. We're solving a massive problem to help every American leave a legacy. If you're into multi-generational wealth building, you'll love being part of our team and mission.
- Our headcount is small and talent dense (~30 total in product group), so you'll be able to contribute efficiently and without bureaucracy. You'll quickly have responsibility over big areas of our company operations.
- Our team has a wide range of global experience (Intuit, Citi, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Lyft, Viasat, Honey, JibJab, etc) and are excited to learn from you, too.
Why you might not be excited about us
- We're still relatively small (~90 people total), so if you like more established companies, it's not (yet) the right time. You'll help build our company's culture.
- Since we're a growth-stage startup, projects and priorities may shift.
- Our customers love us, and there's a lot we can improve. It's a great place to be, but it means there's some jank. (Nothing too scary! 😃)
- Though we will always help you learn, we can't yet provide close mentorship—we're looking for someone who is already a leader.
- Since you'll have a lot of responsibility and creativity over projects, they may not be defined perfectly initially. You'll be expected to bring your own experience and perspective to help us do the right things, and raise flags if you think we should do things differently.
Being Successful at Trust & Will
- Not all of these are hard requirements, but they do describe the kinds of people that we think would be most effective at Trust & Will right now:
- You're a builder at heart – you've built systems and scaled processes in the past from start to finish as a functional leader within your company or organization
- Ability to build a long-term vision and plan, but also to be spontaneous and scrappy to execute it
- Preference for ambiguity and open-ended problems for which you'll define the strategy. You love thinking broadly and creatively about problems and how to solve them efficiently
- Passionate about data, technology, and feedback loops as a means to foster behavior change for estate planning
- Enjoy thinking through trade-offs, with both mindfulness of short-term needs and our long-term direction
Being Successful as a Growth Product Manager
- To be successful in this role, you should clearly identify with most of the following:
- You’re an ardent defender of the user and their experience gaps first, and only consider solution space once you’ve established a firm bond with their experience using products that you build.
- You've started from scratch in a product and know what it means to iteratively conceive, deliver, and polish a feature so that it lands.
- You're deeply invested in creating productive and healthy relationships with your cross-functional partners. Collaboration and excellent communication is one of your superpowers.
- You understand common software development patterns, including the different types of characters involved to build and ship great code. You’ll also have good intuition to drive delivery timelines in an empathetic way.
Benefits & Perks
- Our salary range for this position is $115,000.00 -$140,000.00 in addition to compensation we also include an employee equity package as a component of our offer along with other benefits and perks outlined below.
- Unlimited time off that you are encouraged to use
- Quarterly company-wide breaks (think Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall break)
- Monthly friends & family days
- 4 days/year to volunteer in your community
- Fantastic health benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and generous parental leave
- Financial wellness benefits (Certified Financial Planner support, savings options, and employee-sponsored 401k)
- A formal mentorship program, guest speakers & reimbursement for learning opportunities
- Flexible work schedule + hours
- Family-friendly work environment. We support the complexity of a remote world with the needs of families
- Optional company-sponsored events and travel throughout the year
- $500 Work from home stipend + mac & Apple accessories
- Join an Inc. Magazine Best Workplace winner!
Health and Wellness Benefits:
We are a remote-first company, giving our employees the flexibility they need to work in an environment that best suits their needs. Our hiring process is also conducted virtually unless otherwise noted. We are a company that was founded in San Diego, CA, and offer a collaborative co-working space that is available for you to use if you’d like but not required. #LI-Remote
We'll mold your role to shape a career you're excited about. We care a ton about your satisfaction and job happiness and will help prep you for whatever you're looking for in the future.
We work hard and also highly value balanced work/life. We care about family and your own personal development and don't expect for you to always be engaged with work. We have a commitment to building a healthy, sustainable, and engaging working environment for all employees, their families, and communities. We are also in the process of becoming a B-Corp so we can continue to contribute positively to the world we live in and set an example for all employers.